The Model Maker will work on the Engineering Lab team that is part of the Unitary Products Group (UPG) for Johnson Controls. In this division we design, test, manufacture and assemble heating, ventilation and air conditioning equipment for the light commercial and residential markets. Johnson Controls has two plants for UPG with approximately 1000 employees each; one in Norman, OK and the other in Wichita, KS. This position will be located in our Norman, OK plant and will report to the Engineering Lab Manager.
Assists with the design, arrangement, and building of experimental subassemblies and prototype models requiring a high degree of accuracy. May also assist with the testing of prototype models.
Responsibilities / Duties
• Builds one-of-a-kind models
• Operates machine tools, welders, sheet metal working and wood making equipment
• Works with precision with materials of all types such as: metals, wood and plastic
• Develops tools and fixtures to produce desired results
• Uses precision measuring instruments
• Ability to perform part layout work
• Follow established safety procedures and maintain a clean work area
• Other duties as required
• 2 year degree or equivalent combination of education and experience. 4 years suggested minimum experience
• Good working knowledge of techniques and skills in areas of wiring, brazing, coil fabrication and/or unit assembly
• Ability to interpret and work from sketches/blueprints/verbal instruction with minimal supervision
• Ability to lift equipment: compressors, units, motors, sheet metal parts, etc.
• Basic math skills
• High level of self-motivation and integrity
• Effective and professional communication and organizational skills are required
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, Outlook or other email programs
• Strong interpersonal skills and decision making ability
• Experience with NC equipment (mill/lathe, laser, waterjet, press brake) preferred
• Experience in welding (MIG, TIG, etc.) preferred
• Die making experience a plus
• Experience with CAD, Pro/E, Creo is a plus
• Experience with AM (additive manufacturing) or 3D printing a plus
A little about us:
We’re shaping the future. Together, let’s make a world that’s safe, comfortable and sustainable. Tomorrow needs you.