At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.Job Description:3M is seeking a Senior Research Chemists, Engineers, and Analysts for Research and Development (R&D) located in Maplewood, Minnesota. Here, you go.Job Summary:
Individuals hired for a position in 3M Research and Development will develop advanced technologies and products in one of 3M's Corporate Research Labs or Business Group Labs. At 3M, our researchers leverage our 46 technology platforms and capabilities to develop new technologies and products that solve customer problems across many businesses and markets. 3M offers over 55,000 products that are helping customers are used in consumer electronics, hospitals and clinics, industrial manufacturing, and safety products. 3M core material technologies and expertise include advanced polymers, nanotechnology, biotechnology, and fluorochemistry that are used in adhesive tapes, protective coatings, film technologies, non-wovens, reflective signage, and respirators. 3M is applying Science to Life.Note: Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. It is in a candidate's best interest to apply early. Most hiring decisions will be made by December 2017.Primary Responsibilities
include but are not limited to the following:
- Leverage expertise to develop and advance technologies that can be used for new product commercialization opportunities
- Protect 3M intellectual property through the filing of new patent applications, publish in top-tier journals, and present at appropriate conferences
- Collaborate with research teams from corporate research and business labs on building capabilities and applications that use his/her scientific, mathematical, and computational skills
- Active participation in 3M's Tech Forum
- Collaboration with international laboratories for technology and product transfers
- Possess or in the last year of pursuing a Doctoral degree or Post-Doctoral fellow in a Science or Engineering discipline from an accredited university
- Possess or in the last year of pursuing a Doctoral degree or Post-Doctoral fellow in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Polymer Science, Biomolecular Engineering, or related discipline from an accredited university
- Minimum of two - five (2-5) years of practical laboratory experience in synthesis of polymers and small molecules, chemical/polymer processing, advanced analytical and materials characterization, vapor coating, nanotechnology, development of sensors, and optical materials
- Good skills in data analysis and the use of designed experiments
- Use of designed experiments and statistical analysis of experimental results
- Strong scientific and technical acumen, with demonstrated interest and ability to make connections between science/technology and real-world concerns
- Strong problem solving skills
- Ability to deal with the ambiguity of early-stage scouting and evaluation of new opportunities and the flexibility to change direction as additional information becomes available
- Demonstrated scientific excellence as evidenced by publications and presentations
- Demonstrated leadership and networking skills
- Self-motivated and self-directed
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written and presentation)
Responsibilities of this position may include direct and/or indirect physical or logical access to information, systems, technologies subjected to the regulations/compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws.
U.S. Export Control laws and U.S. Government Department of Defense contracts and sub-contracts impose certain restrictions on companies and their ability to share export-controlled and other technology and services with certain \"non-U.S. persons\" (persons who are not U.S. citizens or nationals, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., refugees, \"Temporary Residents\" (granted Amnesty or Special Agricultural Worker provisions), or persons granted asylum (but excluding persons in nonimmigrant status such as H-1B, L-1, F-1, etc.) or non-U.S. citizens.
To comply with these laws, and in conjunction with the review of candidates for those positions within 3M that may present access to export controlled technical data, 3M must assess employees' U.S. person status, as well as citizenship(s).
The questions asked in this application are intended to assess this and will be used for evaluation purposes only. Failure to provide the necessary information in this regard will result in our inability to consider you further for this particular position. The decision whether or not to file or pursue an export license application is at 3M Company's sole election.
Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M or @3MNewsroom.
Please access the linked document by clicking here , select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.