Job Location: United States : New York : New York
The U.S. Marketing Strategy team focused on identifying and defining marketing strategies that enable the MetLife brand to anticipate and deliver on customer needs, perceptions and motivations that are critical to driving stronger customer relationships that contribute to growth. Our approach to strategy focuses on combining deep customer insights (and analytics) with a pragmatic, operationally-focused approach to problem-solving. By partnering closely with the local business and global teams, the US marketing strategy team is responsible for helping them meet their short and long-term growth expectations through marketing strategies, value propositions, and pilots.
The Director of Marketing Strategy role is one of several new positions created as a result of centralizing marketing capabilities across the Business Units and building new core competencies. The successful candidate will be responsible for partnering with Business Unit teams to analyze, design, and execute programs to implement marketing growth strategies that aligns with priority global initiatives for Accelerating Value (AV). Partnering closely with marketing science and global marketing strategy teams, he or she will help US business teams apply customer segmentation and leverage other customer research as part of an insights-driven marketing approach to help business units develop, validate, and activate activation of value propositions.
The person in this role will operate as a strategic marketer and be deeply embedded in the Accelerated Value strategic initiative with emphasis on the “customer.”
- Support Business Unit engagements that include:
- conducting research and analysis to define customer insights
- leveraging customer segmentation and applying to various business needs
- developing and validating value propositions for prioritized customer segments, and
- validating market potential and sizing customer demand
- Support AV marketing pilots, inclusive of leading work around target optimization, market sizing and analysis, insights development, positioning validation, business model design, and financial analysis support
- Define information needs, fact finding and data analysis to support strategic problem solving and sound decision making
- Develop new strategic marketing frameworks, case studies and methods to help BUs address key business challenges and objectives
- Influence and align others to build stakeholder support
Critical Aspects of the Position
- Strategic Leadership and Operational Business Experience – the incumbent will need to have or quickly develop a keen understanding of MetLife’s business strategies, models and key offerings and be able to contribute valuable customer insights, competitor intelligence and pragmatic marketing solutions. He/she will do this by:
- Demonstrating a clear passion for the category and technology and a willingness to immerse him/herself fully in the details of the company's businesses
- Quickly gain a deep understanding of MetLife’s target customers, their wants and needs and how the company can deliver against these versus its competitors
- Co-creating operationally-focused marketing solutions with keen focus on tackling key business challenges and meeting business objectives
- Exceptional Collaboration and Influencing Skills – the incumbent will work closely with various business unit leaders and their teams, strategists and marketers, and numerous peers in Marketing to define, deliver and execute the brand strategy. He / she will do this in many cases via virtual teams in a highly-matrixed environment. He / she will succeed by:
- Investing heavily to build strong working relationships with numerous people at all levels of the organization
- Establishing strong credibility by demonstrating deep subject-matter and disciplinary competency
- Ability to offer well-structured, well-supported and clearly articulated points-of-view while met with skepticism, disbelief and/or opposition
- 7+ years of diverse and progressively senior marketing experience – an accomplished Marketer that has a breadth of marketing experience (from planning to go-to-market execution, from brand/product management to marketing communications), as well as relevant expertise in strategic brand building and innovation (demonstrated through a proven track record of working on world-class brands at a company, business unit or product level)
- Strong record of leading teams with marketing-driven P&L responsibility
- Ability to advise on both B2C and B2B2C channels, with a customer mindset focusing on insights and applying insights-led research
- Highly analytical with significant experience leading data-based decision making and distilling large amounts of data into clearly concise stories
- Demonstrated experienced navigating, influencing and leading within a highly matrixed environment
- Entrepreneurial-like innovation experience within a larger company or brand would be desirable
- Accomplished change management leader
- Undergraduate degree required, MBA or other advanced degree preferred
Global Brand & Marketing
At MetLife, we’re leading the global transformation of an industry we’ve long defined. United in purpose, diverse in perspective, we’re dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our customers.
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife's policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
For immediate consideration, click the Apply Now button. You will be directed to complete an on-line profile. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation email verifying you have successfully applied to the job.
Requisition #: 42444
MetLife offers life insurance, disability income insurance, car insurance, employee benefits and more.