• Physician (M.D. or equivalent) with board certification. Current Medical license or eligibility for US Medical licensure (or equivalent outside of the US) is required. Board certified Pulmonologist
• Demonstrated ability to lead effective engagements with the key medical/scientific experts
• Medical Affairs or Clinical Development experience is desirable
• Effective team and matrix working, with proven ability to motivate, influence, negotiate, and collaborate; strong project management skills; solid planning and organizational skills;
• Strong strategic, scientific/analytical problem solving skills.
• Strong business acumen and communication skills (oral and written), including the ability to identify and articulate the value of clinical and heath outcome data to internal stakeholders and external customers.
• Robust knowledge of the US healthcare environment including disease-specific research priorities, public health need, competitor landscape, decision making practices of Managed Care Organizations, clinical practice trends and treatment guidelines evolution.
• Teaching skills. The candidate is expected to be the educator-in-chief on his/her disease area within the USMA group.
• High quality presentation skills - a master teacher
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following leadership and business competencies:
• Excellent communications and leadership skills.
• Learning agility - ability to rapidly acquire and integrate new information and knowledge and apply them in a constantly changing environment.
• Enable and drive change -ability to influence/lead directly to deliver results, proactively look for new opportunities and constantly anticipate the need for change.
• Building collaborative relationships - ability to work effectively with others, delegate appropriately and foster a culture of collaboration.
• Customer driven - ability to understand patient needs and institutional concerns, integrate into strategies and build a team that is customer-focused.
• Continuous improvement - ability to drive a performance-based culture.
• Flexible thinking - ability to analyze the external environment and translate to strategy and gain support of others to implement a vision. Must demonstrate good judgment.
• Developing people - ability to develop influencing/leadership skills in others, act as teacher, coach and mentor toward others.
Please use the cover letter to highlight how you meet the requirements and competencies for the role. Your CV along with your cover letter will be used to assess your application.
Board certified Pulmonologist
Our medical affairs physicians and scientists are the experts on our medicines/vaccines and an extremely valuable part of our global business. In all countries where our medicines and vaccines are marketed, these professionals help to ensure that healthcare professionals can understand the appropriate use of our products, and also ensure that the patient remains at the heart of our decision making. Our Global Medical organization, under the leadership of R&D, Chief Medical Officer Murray Stewart, is at the forefront of the industry-leading changes to improve patient treatment options. We are committed to making GSK's Medical Affairs team the best in our industry, and a trusted valued partner in the delivery of healthcare to patients.
The US Medical Affairs (USMA) organization reports to the Head of Worldwide Medical Affairs in R&D. The Worldwide Medical Affairs organization includes Japan and the US in addition to Local Operating Companies (LOCs) in Europe, Emerging Markets & Australia and China. Within USMA, there are two primary Therapy Areas, Respiratory and Specialty & Classic and Established Medicines. Each team is supported by Medical/Scientific Directors, health outcome scientists, field medical liaisons, medical information scientists, strategic capabilities, medical governance, operations and analytics. The US Medical Affairs organization provides critical insight into the needs of US Medical customers and patients, ensuring the accuracy and relevance of GSK's medical and scientific information in the US and assessing the evidence needs for US prescribers and payers.
The US Medical Expert reports to the USMA, Vice President, Therapy Area Head for Respiratory and is responsible at the therapy area level for providing high-value respiratory expertise to the internal organization, and leading external communications and engagement designed to educate, gain external expert insight and advocacy. The incumbent is accountable to lead across the respiratory matrix and external customers to ensure credible scientific and promotional engagements with customers.
A primary focus of the medical expert's activities (approximately 60-70% of his/her time) will be working in an external scientific engagement capacity with a focus on engaging with customers in either a scientific capacity or promotional activities. The US medical expert will work in close conjunction with GSK's Medical Science Liaisons team to ensure customer engagements are strategic, high-value and coordinated seamlessly to ensure an optimal customer experience with GSK.
The Medical Expert will also provide input and/or lead the development of scientific content for educational and training materials for both internal and external audiences and will serve as an internal expert consultant to USMA or key stakeholders (R&D, Global Medical, and/or Commercial) as needed. This is a new role within GSK and will continue to evolve over time. The role was created to lead and direct compliant engagement with healthcare professionals, regulators and governmental agencies in order to ensure high-value discourse in line with our vision to be the preferred and trusted medical partner with patient safety and well-being at the heart of all we do.
In addition, the Medical Expert is a member of the extended US Respiratory Therapy Area Leadership team, working in collaboration with functional and Respiratory Hub leaders (Asthma /Biologics and COPD ) to build a culture of excellence in Medical Affairs, ensure strategic alignment across the broader portfolio and work with other Respiratory TA leaders to role model effective matrix working and enterprise thinking/problem solving
You may apply for this position online by selecting the Apply now button.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK HR Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).GSK is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record site.
A little about us:
We are a science-led global healthcare company on a mission to help people to do more, feel better and live longer.