The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) is a field-based member of the Medical Affairs team. MSLs serve as a strategic link between Alcon and our Scientific Partners as they are expected to develop and maintain peer-to-peer relationships with Medical Experts (ME)/Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs) in the field of Ophthalmic Surgery including Cataract, Refractive, Glaucoma and Vit/Ret. The MSLs strategically support the development and appropriate use/adoption of Alcon products and therapies through evidence-based scientific exchange and by seeking external insights to further inform and shape company's understanding of the products, therapeutic area, and clinical practice. Additionally, the MSLs provide general medical/healthcare information in given therapeutic area(s) to practitioners and internal Alcon associates. MSLs also respond to unsolicited requests for Medical Information & queries.
1. Scientific Exchange/Insights −Maintain a thorough and detailed working knowledge of Alcon products, current medical/scientific research, and publications. −Engage in scientific discussions related to Alcon product data/research areas/ pipeline with Medical Experts (MEs), speakers & investigators by ensuring the appropriate dissemination of clinical and scientific information regarding marketed and pipeline products in a timely, compliant, and customer-focused manner.
2. Function as the Alcon medical speaker to present, as needed, at customer sites, congresses, symposia, and training events for up-to-date data-based, scientific and clinical information on Alcon product(s). −Collect, analyze, and report insights that may impact company development plans/trial designs, launch and brand strategies/tactics. −Respond to unsolicited requests for scientific information.
3. Scientific Research Support −Contribute to the identification and recommendation of appropriate KOL involvement and participation in Alcon sponsored clinical trials (includes both pre- and post-market studies) from assigned territory. −Upon investigator request, liaise between potential researcher and Alcon on Investigator Initiated Trials (IITs) from inception to publication.
4. Medical Projects −Contribute to medical strategy/plan development by providing field insights. −Implement or support medical projects as field medical lead/contact aligned with Global or Regional Medical Affairs activities. − Support educational efforts, such as wet lab activities, by organizing such events and being onsite as necessary.
5. Internal Alcon Support − Provide medical support and training, as appropriate, (i.e., disease state and product) to colleagues (e.g. sales reps, Regulatory Affairs colleagues, etc.), but not as a substitute for those functional training groups. − Work with Med Info and Med Safety to help resolve escalated product complaints as well as Medical Safety issues. − Interface effectively with all other Medical Affairs functions, as well as other departments, including Commercial, QA, Research and Development, Regulatory Affairs, Market Access, etc. −Act as an interface between Medical Expert/ HCP and Alcon to provide up-to-date medical support on device-related issues to educate, diagnose, resolve and where applicable, escalate to local or regional Medical Affairs.
6. Integrity and Compliance −Works with Integrity and Compliance observing all laws, industry standards, and company policies. −Complies with all credentialing requirements for any healthcare institution (e.g., hospital) which is part of the MSL's call plan, including, among other things, routine background checks, medical testing (i.e., Tuberculosis test) or proof of immunizations, training on facility policies, adherence to confidentiality, etc.
Alcon is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participates in E-Verify. As part of the Novartis Group of Companies, Alcon takes pride in maintaining a diverse environment and our policies are not to discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Alcon is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information
alrpo EEO Statement The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. Minimum requirements • MD/DO/MBBS/OD/PhD/PharmD/Advanced Degree in Ophthalmology, or other equivalent medical or bio-scientific degree required.
• Solid knowledge of eye diseases, ophthalmic surgical procedures and IOL technology landscape and equipment required.
• Significant experience in treatment in adverse event management.
• Minimum of 7 years of experience in the ophthalmology field (academia, industry, practice), with at least 3 of those in the ophthalmic industry or clinical practice.
• Experience in a customer facing role. − Working knowledge of the Healthcare System and of the research procedures as well as the ICH guidelines, GCP, and other ethical guidelines.
• Experience designing and executing clinical trials, in particular in the post-market phase.
• Experience in scientific presentations and basic experience in medical writing and biostatistics.
• Broad knowledge of product development, clinical trial design, regulatory requirements, payer landscape, and life cycle management.
• Proven ability and experience to develop and foster peer-to-peer, credible relationships with Medical Experts/decision makers.
*Position is an expanded Northeast territory from Maine to Pennsylvania. May include Ohio and Indiana (TBD). Excludes NY metro and NJ. Candidates may reside close to an airport hub within the region.
A little about us:
As the global leader in eye care, Alcon develops and manufactures innovative medicines and devices to serve the full life cycle of eye care needs.