The Gain and Loss Associate is responsible for making decisions, providing guidance, and answering a wide range of complex questions related to cost basis reporting through Service Portals and phone calls. This involves manual adjustments, providing educational and regulatory insight, as well as reconciliation discrepancies. This also involves understanding moderately complex securities, such as simple fixed income and 1256 option contracts. The person will understand, verify, and explain simple to moderately complex wash sales calculations. The employee will demonstrate the following:
-Demonstrates a detailed knowledge of the processes, projects, systems, markets and instruments that influence their team.
-Understands moderately complex securities, such as simple fixed income and 1256 option contracts.
-Can understand, verify, and explain simple to moderately complex wash sales calculations
-Demonstrates a comprehensive understanding of job-related operational/compliance policies and procedures for their team.
-Recognizes risk in day-to-day processes, draws out the key issues and suggests ideas for continuous improvement.
-Analyzes and exposes ambiguous or complex issues, identifies root causes and proposes future actions.
-When problems come up that may have a significant impact, raises the issue with a senior member of the team or management, and submits a request to IT for an impact analysis.
-May have specific skills in process improvement, project management or technology development and testing.
-Will most likely be involved in one significant or multiple minor process areas or projects.
-In addition to processing requests, may also complete stats, triage, testing, etc.
- Addresses non-standard issues within their area of expertise with minimal guidance and supervision.
-Ensures adherence to policies and procedures and ensures regulatory guidelines are followed.
- Ensures Compliance Courses and Policies are completed on a timely basis.
-Understand the impact of policies on their role and department.
-Key problem solver for their area of responsibility.
-Is a SME for one or more security types, and can be a resource for other members of the team.
Bachelor Degree in a Business field and experience in the Financial Industry.
- Understanding of general accounting principles as they apply to the industry.
- Understanding of general process controls, with knowledge of database, spreadsheet applications, and data modelling, including Microsoft Excel, Access and other Office applications.
- Superior Communication Skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to work independently well within a team environment.
- Excellent Time Management, Interpersonal, and Problem-Solving Skills.
- Ability to concurrently manage multiple projects, and prioritize effectively to meet tight and enforced Operational and annual deadlines for the firm.
- Attention to detail and quality of work.
- Ability to consistently exercise sound and decisive judgment.
- Commitment to personal development
A little about us:
Since its founding in 1935, Morgan Stanley and its people have helped redefine the meaning of financial services.