UX Content Designer, Small Business Design
You are a content strategist with senior-level chops who is sensitive and thoughtful about layout and information hierarchy. An amazing wordsmith with a strong design aesthetic. Or an interaction designer who is a natural storyteller.
You LOVE creating solutions that actually help people. And, you guide others on your team to be brave enough to design with humanity.
We are Small Business Design. Capital One Small Business is a customer experience design team solving problems for and empowering small business owners. Still new to the Capital One family, we’re like a startup within an already-successful company, and because of it we’re able to do more. Capital One is not a tired, slow bank; if you can dream it, design it and work with other teams to build it, you can make it happen here. Our designers are empowered to create change, deliver innovation to our customers and help define new ways to work collaboratively across the organization.
As a Content Designer you’ll:
- Lead journey-mapping and conversation design sessions to outline the customer experience for digital lending.
- Identify friction and opportunities in a customer’s journey and then work with your team to design iterations of that journey through multiple touchpoints.
- Co-create content within a flow for an experience with small business design and product teammates
- Leverage user research to help you figure out what information a small business customer needs in that exact moment.
- Talk with your Design or Product lead to understand the top 1-2 priorities, then immerse yourself to fully understand the business constraints, voice of the customer (in our case, the small business owner), and opportunities for designing spot-on content from end-to-end.
- Work with a team to co-write a content workbook, including conversation structure, ideal phrases, human language, and navigation ideas.
- Arrange information in a way that makes sense for the end-user AND the business.
- Meet with and have collaborative conversations with people across the org who come at experience design from different angles–like PR, brand, legal, risk, and more.
Your days look like that because:
- We’re changing banking for good. We’re all humans with unique emotions about our money, and messaging HUGELY influences how we feel about the institutions we’ve entrusted to handle that money.
- Every day, we create experiences that make a difference in the lives of small business owners. About 50 percent of small businesses fail because of one reason: cash flow. We believe typical banks have taken the small business owner for granted and provide them little value. As an integral member of the Small Business Design team you will help us change that.
You’ll need to be pretty dang good at wearing these hats:
- Customer Advocate — You’ll dig into who our small business customers are and ensure our lending products speak their language AND make sense in the context of Capital One
- Writer — You’ll build trustworthy relationships with customers by making “simplicity and humanity” core facets of our product content
- Editor — You’ll cut or change what doesn’t help audiences find, understand and choose us
- UX Designer — You’ll design a seamless experience for small business owners, both within and across our digital experiences.
- Researcher and Data Scientist — You’ll use data to drive your messaging decisions and support/dispel your assumptions
- Entrepreneur — You’ll work with business partners to understand the constraints and potential for growing and optimizing the business WITH a more delightful customer experience
You’ll love your job THE MOST if you:
- Want to be a part of changing banking for good
- End-to-end experiences are your sweet spot.
- See words as an incredibly powerful tool for connecting with people
- Are passionate about the customer and want to use your influence to design experiences that build trust and help people
- Are articulate and prepared -- able to confidently substantiate your decisions to peers and senior-level executives alike
- Work quickly without compromising quality, knowing that iteration and testing are part-and-parcel to designing exceptional user experiences
- Take initiative, aren’t afraid to fail, ask thoughtful questions, and constantly seek better ways of working and communicating
- Bachelor’s degree or military experience
- At least 7 years of professional experience with Digital Content Strategy or at least 7 years of professional experience with Experience Design
- Master’s Degree in Communications, Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), or Design
- 7+ years of experience with digital content strategy
- 5+ years of experience designing for digital products and interactions
- 3+ years of experience leading content-first design
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.