Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The VMAL is a key member of the U.S. Vaccines Medical Affairs customer facing organization within the Vaccines organization of GHH and plays a critical role in establishing the advocacy and influence that supports Merck's medical and scientific needs. He/she is responsible for working with customer facing teams as permitted by policy and other functions at Merck, to understand customer needs; support the development and pull-through of the scientific and medical platform on which brand strategies are based; pull through Merck's segment strategies throughout the healthcare ecosystem. The VMAL is accountable to ensure that Merck is viewed as demonstrating scientific and medical excellence, vaccine outcomes, quality improvement knowledge, and implementation science and population health expertise to healthcare professionals. The VMAL demonstrates the highest level of ethics and integrity, scientific knowledge and knowledge of population health trends across the local and regional healthcare ecosystem which includes but is not limited to individual HCP's; systems HBP's, segment customers (IDS, Payers & Pharmacy) ecosystem. A proficiency in emerging healthcare disciplines and ability to proficiently employ strong communication and account management competencies is required. This position reports to a Team Leader within the Vaccine Medical Affairs Organization.
Individuals in the role must reside in the territory to which they are assigned.
The Vaccines Medical Affairs Lead (VMAL):
- Establishing relationships with key healthcare institutions across the healthcare ecosystem to provide knowledge & expertise in population health, quality improvement, implementation science, and behavior change science, and strategies and tools to support vaccination
- Developing and maintaining long-term relationships with both regional and national medical thought leaders across the vaccines ecosystem including but not limited to: academic medical centers, managed care institutions, pharmacy, local society chapters, veteran's affairs, state health departments, centers of excellence, integrated delivery systems, employers; state vaccine coalitions and scientific organizations in order to achieve mutually beneficial goals in the field of vaccines and population health
- Developing the advocacy and influence to support population health strategies for the regional healthcare ecosystem in a territory.
- Identifying and developing national, regional and local advocates who can communicate learning objectives and present balanced scientific evidence that is consistent with our corporate objectives and policies during medical education programs
- Shaping the strategy for and influence within the vaccines ecosystem with a focus on vaccination as a population health strategy.
- Developing and employing compliant strategies for addressing population health and vaccination goals of customers, institutions, Thought Leaders, schools of public health/pharmacy/nursing and managed care customers across the healthcare ecosystem
- Serving as a conduit for open communication between key thought leaders and other cross functional areas within Merck & Co as permitted per policy.
- Serving as a scientific expert to and collaborator with all divisional customer facing teams in order to support commercial initiatives and population health strategy and goals
- Communicating about disease burden, vaccine effectiveness, implementation science and quality improvement consistent with approved material and in a way that's meaningful and relevant to each customer; adapting customer interactions to ensure a two way dialogue regarding population health goals, vaccine science and implementation models based on an in-depth understanding of customer's needs
- Maintaining a collaborative working relationship and communication with commercial and other colleagues to develop appropriate joint customer goals and strategies Finding and developing population health, quality improvement, implementation science speaker faculty to effectively deliver Merck Medical Education to HCPs
- Serving as an internal implementation and quality improvement expert and collaborator with field personnel and extended teams from Merck in order to support commercial initiatives and improved population health goals
- Ensuring compliance with all corporate and regulatory policies and procedures
- Required: BA/BS
- Preferred: MBA/BSN/NP/PhD/PharmD or other professional/educational background in medically related sciences, clinical areas, or public health
- Minimum of (3) years' experience in pharma or biotech industry
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated initiative, leadership, and consistent strong performance
- Scientific, Analytical, & Business acumen
- Account team planning expertise with a broad set of ecosystem customers
- Up to 50% Overnight Travel depending on location of residence
- Valid Driver's license
- Deep knowledge of vaccines and related policy, clinical application and experience, and/or healthcare reform trends
- Experience in Quality Improvement, Population Health and/or Implementation Science
- Experience with Health Information Technology (HIT)
- Experience in healthcare delivery systems
- Excellent communication and presentation skills across multi-functional and multi-organizational teams.
- Strong Business analytics and Project Management
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement