Hart & Cooley, established in 1901, and part of Johnson Controls Incorporated, is a well-known industry leader in multiple product lines with manufacturing and distribution centers located throughout North America. We manufacture HVAC products for residential construction and commercial HVAC, venting and roofing products for commercial/industrial markets. The Value Add/Value Engineering (VAVE) Project Engineer works with multiple functions on a daily basis, including engineering, purchasing, marketing and all levels of management including department and plant managers as well as senior leaders. This position will provide the ideal candidate with an environment to be able to make real difference with ample opportunity to grow professionally.
This role is responsible for the project management of the VAVE project portfolio, which is comprised of engineering changes on HVAC component products, which drive margin expansion for the organization. The VAVE Project Engineer supports the assigned Engineers with the planning, execution and monitoring of multiple projects from inception to completion. This position ensures that robust project management techniques are being applied to each project during both planning and execution, and monitors each project to ensure that plans are being followed.
This individual is responsible for providing overall direction to the senior leadership as it relates to the priorities and project planning and accomplishment. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages and monitors project execution to understand, communicate and address changing project needs.
- Manages and monitors multiple projects in a rapidly changing environment.
- Responsible for the completion of assigned projects at or ahead of the target dates defined in the project plans.
- Develops or supports others in the development of detailed schedules and project plans.
- Helps project teams overcome challenges that arise during the course of a project's execution.
- Manages, creates and continuously improves upon standard work and processes for exceptional project management techniques.
- Quickly and proactively identifies and mitigates risks, resolves issues and leverages opportunities within each assigned project.
- Facilitates and participates in discussions with all stake holders in a positive and proactive manner.
- Works cross-functionally with Marketing, CMO, Operations, Supply Chain, Quality, Regulatory, Finance and other departments as needed.
- Works cross-functionally to staff projects with the appropriate resources at appropriate stages of the project.
- Works externally with various suppliers and partners as needed to ensure successful project outcomes.
- Presents results and progress to management and/or leadership.
- Responsible for monitoring all financial aspects of the project (estimated cost, planning, and staying within budget).
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Strong attention to detail is essential to be successful as a Project Engineer.
- A candidate must be detail oriented and be able to creatively solve problems while using the materials and facts at hand.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and flexibility to work on multiple projects and assignments is critical.
- Bachelor's Degree (BS) from an accredited four-year College or University required, with majors in in Industrial or Mechanical Engineering or similar preferred.
- 2 years minimum experience in Project Management or VAVE
- Background in Lean Manufacturing or experience in Manufacturing preferred.
- Six Sigma training/certification desired.
- Bilingual Spanish-English desired.
- Must be willing to travel up to 15% of the time to respective manufacturing locations to perform quality audits and follow up on the production of products.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have proficiency with MS Office products, an understanding of Autodesk Revit, and show proficiency with SolidWorks including automating designs within SolidWorks using VBA. Experience with AS400 is a plus.
A candidate must possess the ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, government regulations, and agency standards. They must also possess the ability to write reports, business correspondence, work instructions, effectively present information, and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. Mathematical Skills
A candidate must possess the ability to calculate values such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, volume, air flow, heat transfer, and sound power by applying concepts from algebra, geometry, statistics, trigonometry, differential equations, and physics. Reasoning Ability
A candidate must possess the ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. They must also be able to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
At Johnson Controls, we're shaping the future to create a world that's safe, comfortable and sustainable. Our global team creates innovative, integrated solutions to make cities more connected, buildings more intelligent and vehicles more efficient. We are passionate about improving the way the world lives, works and plays. The future requires bold ideas, an entrepreneurial mind-set and collaboration across boundaries. You need a career focused on tomorrow. Tomorrow needs you.
We’re shaping the future. Together, let’s make a world that’s safe, comfortable and sustainable. Tomorrow needs you.