At 3M, we apply science in collaborative ways to improve lives daily. With $30 billion in sales, our 90,000 employees connect with customers all around the world.
3M has a long-standing reputation as a company committed to innovation. We provide the freedom to explore and encourage curiosity and creativity. We gain new insight from diverse thinking, and take risks on new ideas.
Here, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter.Job Description:3M is seeking a Embedded Firmware and Hardware Product Engineer for the Scott Safety group located in Monroe, NC. At 3M, you can apply your talents in bold ways that matter. Here, you go.Job Summary
The person hired for the position of Embedded Firmware and Hardware Product Engineer
will primarily drive projects that result in product cost, feature or function improvements by utilizing VA/VE (Value Analysis / Value Engineering) methodologies, which focus on existing product portfolios and new designs, as a control for escalating material and labor costs, or improving product margins, while maintaining product integrity and quality. Product focus is on the development of electro-mechanical products and components including Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA), intelligent powered air-purifying respirators, gas and flame detection instruments, thermal imaging cameras, advanced air compressors and asset accountability systems.
The position requires participation in Value Analysis events to generate a pipeline of ideas and subsequent execution. This is a hands-on role requiring a thorough study and understanding of existing designs, in order to apply innovative engineering principles towards re-design and optimization. Additionally, the position works with new product development teams to support value engineering activities. The person in this role should be a strong communicator who is able to work effectively with peers and management alike in a high paced global environment.Primary Responsibilities
include but are not limited to the following:
- Experience designing and developing embedded electronic systems for commercial, industrial, and or military products
- Evaluate the feasibility and cost savings impact of ideas through cost estimating, technical and manufacturing feasibility assessments, and document the results in case files as evidence
- Verify cost savings ideas are in compliance to the associated component selection strategy, design and DFM guidelines, and provide additions or modifications as necessary
- Support internal VA/VE workshops, compile ideas generated, and conduct cursory feasibility assessment
- Maintain and improve tracking mechanism of initiated VA/VE cost savings ideas to provide engineering throughput performance metrics for monthly reviews
- Communicate to Program Engineering and Program Management accepted ideas for implementation, status of existing ideas and overall performance to target
- Investigate new components, substitutes, and technologies that reduce overall costs while maintaining or improving quality
- Provide VA/VE cost savings ideas and component expertise to assist in closing target price gaps for business quotes
- Attend customer/supplier VA/VE workshops and cost reduction initiatives, provide technical expertise, recommend ideas, and support follow-up actions
- Collaborate with cross-functional commodity teams to identify commercial opportunities in component localization, and de-proliferation of suppliers and/or components
- Hands on approach to testing, including proof of concept, design validation and regulatory agency approval
- Creative engineer with superb problem solving and analytical skills
- Manages own time to accomplishes goals on schedule
- Demonstrates the ability to simultaneously execute multiple projects across multinational sites
- Is flexible with change and embraces challenges with an open mind
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Electrical Engineering from an accredited institution
- Minimum of five (5) years of combined experience with electrical design, applications, and/or systems engineering
Location: Monroe, NCTravel: May include up to 10% domesticRelocation: Is authorized
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university
- Proficiency in circuit design, software design, schematic and PCB development in CAD software, specification development, architectural system design, embedded system firmware
- Design experience in the following areas: Analog, RF and digital circuit design, battery powered, microcontroller-based embedded systems, high reliability/robust environments, C/C++ firmware
- Demonstrated success using lean techniques, DFSS, Kaizen, CTQs, PLM, DFMEA
- Proficiency in Altium, Baan (ERP), Hazardous Location Circuit Design (Intrinsic Safety), SIL
- Experience with electrical simulation tools and analysis
- AVS, VMA, CVS or other Value Methodology certifications from SAVE or equivalent organizations
- Excellent English-based technical writing and verbal skills
- Manages multiple projects under time constraint
- Very strong interpersonal skills with the ability to develop relationships and engage with people quickly
- Experience working in a geographically diverse development organization with multi-disciplinary teams
- DFSS green belt preferred
Responsibilities of this position may include direct and/or indirect physical or logical access to information, systems, technologies subjected to the regulations/compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws.
U.S. Export Control laws and U.S. Government Department of Defense contracts and sub-contracts impose certain restrictions on companies and their ability to share export-controlled and other technology and services with certain \"non-U.S. persons\" (persons who are not U.S. citizens or nationals, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., refugees, \"Temporary Residents\" (granted Amnesty or Special Agricultural Worker provisions), or persons granted asylum (but excluding persons in nonimmigrant status such as H-1B, L-1, F-1, etc.) or non-U.S. citizens.
To comply with these laws, and in conjunction with the review of candidates for those positions within 3M that may present access to export controlled technical data, 3M must assess employees' U.S. person status, as well as citizenship(s).
The questions asked in this application are intended to assess this and will be used for evaluation purposes only. Failure to provide the necessary information in this regard will result in our inability to consider you further for this particular position. The decision whether or not to file or pursue an export license application is at 3M Company's sole election.
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without a sponsorship for employment visa status (e.e. H1B status).
Learn more about 3M's creative solutions to the world's problems at www.3M.com or on Twitter @3M.
Please access the linked document by clicking here , select the country where you are applying for employment, and review. Before submitting your application you will be asked to confirm your agreement with the terms.