Vegetable Discovery Interns get hands-on experience in the development and implementation of breeding techniques, trait phenotyping, and analysis of genotypic data for localization of genomic regions associated with trait expression. Three month Interns also have the opportunity to gain exposure to other related functions such as the marker development, bioinformatics, plant breeding, seed production and pathology.
As an intern, you will be assigned to supervisors who outline general responsibilities, assist in project assignment and completion, and arrange opportunities to visit other functions. Interns are involved in various aspects of vegetable genetics & genomics research during their employment to gain a broad overview of the career opportunities available within Monsanto. You can expect to spend significant time with supervisors exploring the rationale and philosophy underlying the application of genetics and genomics research to applied breeding programs.
You will conduct a research project focused on modern innovations for genetic map development. Genetic maps are a foundational information resource that enables discovery and breeding efforts for commercially important traits. The project will require you to explore and develop methods for building genetic maps that leverage large and diverse data sets, and you will be expected to assess the business impact of implementing the new approaches. The results of this project will be presented to an audience of other interns and colleagues.
The dates for this internship are May 14 - August 3 of 2018. R equired:
- Current enrollment with junior status or above with an academic emphasis in genetics and genomics; must be interested in exploring a career in agriculture.
- Detail and results-oriented individual with the ability to work independently and effectively.
- Strong motivational, organization and problem solving skills.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Solid understanding of Mendelian genetics and concepts of linkage.
- Basic competency with a scripting language such as Perl, Python, or R
- Candidate must have a GPA of 3.0 or better.
- Candidate must be willing to relocate.
- Must be returning to school upon completion of internship.
Current MS or PhD student pursuing genetics and genomics with an interest in agriculture
A little about us:
At Monsanto, we believe that diverse perspectives solve big challenges and deliver a broad range of solutions to help nourish our growing world.