Commercial Underwriting Center Manager for Technology & Life Sciences
The Commercial Underwriting Center Manager is responsible for ensuring thorough and complete analysis of new lending opportunities as well as monitoring ongoing credit risk & health of the existing portfolio, also responsible for ensuring compliance with credit policy, credit terms and adherence to regulatory guidance.
Successful incumbents possess strong credit and line of business expertise, have excellent written and verbal communication skills, have strong management/coaching skills, are inspirational, have superior process management and operational effectiveness skills, have strong decision making skills, are a team player and are accountable.
The Commercial Underwriting Center Manager reports to the Commercial Underwriting Center Director. This position manages a team of 7 - 10 Underwriters and Credit Analysts in support of our national Technology and Life Sciences business.
* Ensure quality of underwriting including identification of strengths, weaknesses and appropriate mitigation strategies for new lending opportunities * Ensure appropriate application of credit policy in analysis and address escalations to Relationship Manager, Portfolio Manager and/or Credit Administration Officer (RM/PM/CAO) * Review Underwriting and Credit analysis to ensure thorough and complete underwriting prior to submission to Relationship Manager, Portfolio Manager and/or Credit Administration Officer (RM/PM/CAO) * Elevate any emerging issues or credit concerns to RM/PM/CAO and address in underwriting * Review simple approvals completed by Credit Specialists for completeness and underwriting quality * Make recommendations on credit approval items to improve or enhance deal structure when appropriate * Take a leadership role in facilitating the communication between the Underwriting Center, Group Manager, Relationship Manager and Credit Administration Officer (UWC/GM/RM/CAO) for complex transactions
Efficient Credit Process Management
* Assign and manage workload for Underwriting and Credit analysis team in conjunction with Group Manager and Credit Administration Officer for prioritization * Conduct weekly workload meetings with the Technology and Life Sciences Group Managers / CAO * Ensure adherence to standardized credit processes and Credit policy * Ensure team is meeting all established Service Level Agreements (SLAs) * Continuous review of procedures, processes and credit policy with a keen focus on process improvement and efficiency * Leverage workload management tools/reports for appropriate coaching to Underwriting and Credit Analyst teams for production & quality metrics * Monitor and review credit underwriting to ensure product is "Right the First Time"
Recruit, manage, develop, train and retain underwriting staff
* Ensure development of Commercial Underwriters and Credit Analysts in preparation of advancement to RM/PM and/or UO/Credit management roles * Participate in recruiting activities to ensure quality candidate pools * Participate in on-campus and office interviews in support of the Commercial Banking Training Program * Conduct monthly one-on-one meetings with direct reports to ensure continuous feedback, coaching and development. * Ensure appropriate Performance and Talent Management activities are completed and development plans are in place for staff * Effectively manage on -boarding of new employees to ensure positive experience
Compliance and Audit
* Ensure compliance with regulatory reporting requirements (CRA Sales size, HMDA) * Achieve satisfactory or better ratings on compliance, AQR (administration) and internal audits
* Understand and support data integrity of assigned LOBs to minimize issues
Travel Travel is not required of this position.
Relocation Relocation is not available for this position.
* Bachelor's degree from an accredited university * Completion of a formal credit training program * 8+ years commercial credit and/or lending experience
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled