The Individual Life Insurance Law Department is seeking an experienced attorney to join its life product team. This team provides legal support to areas responsible for traditional and variable life insurance product development, maintenance and marketing, and underwriting. The team also provides cross-business support on product development to the Prudential Annuities Law Department.
The position may be located in Newark, NJ, Shelton, CT or Hartford, CT.
Job responsibilities will include:
- Providing legal advice in connection with all Individual Life Insurance new business initiatives. Working closely with the business within a team environment from product concept to product launch.
- Providing counsel to the Individual Life Insurance Marketing team. Assist the business on all matters related to innovative marketing concepts, including the development of advertising, sales and producer training materials.
- Interfacing regularly with Individual Life Insurance’s Compliance and Risk Management functions. Seek to collaborate with these departments in assessing risks.
- Working closely with colleagues within the Law Department on issues impacting life insurance product distribution.
- Representing Prudential in industry committees and groups that evaluate legal issues that impact the Individual Life Insurance business.
- Engaging and managing outside counsel, as needed.
- Juris Doctorate required (must be licensed in NJ or eligible to obtain a limited NJ license for in-house counsel).
- A strong client focus, with a willingness to explore new ways of serving clients in a fast-paced environment and the ability to work in a team environment.
- A minimum of eight (8) years relevant law firm, regulatory or insurance company law department experience.
- A working knowledge of individual life insurance products, state insurance laws as well as federal securities laws related to certain products.
- A working knowledge of life insurance operations and relevant legal and contractual requirements and have experience providing legal advice in connection with underwriting, customer and regulator inquiries.
- Experience interacting with regulatory bodies.
- The candidate should possess superior oral and written communication skills.
- The candidate must exhibit a strong work ethic, be a self-starter and display the ability to work with various levels of personnel, including senior management.
- The candidate must also be able to work well in an environment where collaboration and teamwork with legal, compliance and business associates is a priority.
Prudential offers a collaborative and collegial work environment, with an enterprise focus on the growth, development and success of talented associates. Members of the Individual Life Insurance legal team are part of Prudential's global Law, Compliance, Business Ethics and External Affairs (LCBE) organization. Competencies Essential to Success:
To succeed in this position, the candidate should possess the following core competencies:
- Talent mindset - understands talent to be a strategic differentiator and works toward developing themselves and others
- Creative problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Self-motivated with strong drive to overcome barriers and achieve results
- External focus - maintains a strong network of resources in the industry, including peer companies and trade associations, and consistently tracks emerging issues
- Intelligent risk taking - excellent judgment and the ability to comfortably make clear, rational and timely decisions in the best interests of Prudential consistent with available facts and applicable laws and regulations
- Maintains the highest ethical standards
- Flexibility to adapt to rapidly changing needs of the organization and/or business clients