The Global Portfolio, Analysis and Reporting (GPAR) Team is seeking a highly motivated individual to join our New York team, reporting to the head of the group. This individual will be responsible for providing both standard and ad hoc analytics and reporting, with a focus on performance analysis for multi-asset strategies. The individual should have a willingness and interest in continually expanding ones knowledge of the investment process, finance/economics, and applied investment analytical skills. The group has a strong, team-based orientation, yet relies upon its members to take responsibility and ownership of their coverage responsibilities and client base. Thorough professionalism in all technical and non-technical aspects of the position is required.
• Leadership role of the performance analysis and reporting function for multi-asset strategies, with an emphasis on theme based reporting.
• Provide performance attribution / contribution, composite construction/oversight, and reporting for assigned areas of product coverage.
• Respond to ad hoc attribution requests; perform custom analysis and detailed examination of calculations and output.
• Coordinate data flows between Investment team, Trading, Operations, and Risk for the production of theme-based reports by the various functions.
• Significant one to one interaction with portfolio managers/analysts, product specialists, client service administrators, and other investment professionals on a variety of issues relating to investment performance and the decomposition of returns.
• Collaborate with the Information technology and Project management teams to re-engineer processes and increase effectiveness of existing reporting.
• Main point of contact for Front Office queries related to GIPS for assigned areas of product coverage.
• Candidate should also be capable of writing interpretive commentary to the reports being produced; presenting reports and interpretations to senior management; and designing new reports that influence the executive decision-making process at MSIM.
• Project work as needed relating to the GPAR Team.
• Bachelors Degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics or a quantitative field. Master's degree is preferred.
• 7 years of relevant experience.
• Demonstrate thorough knowledge of both traditional asset management and alternatives investments (derivatives, fixed income, cash equities, mutual funds, hedge funds, private equity).
• Asset management performance calculation and reporting experience including knowledge of alternative return calculations and CFA Institute Guidelines.
• In depth understanding of attribution theory and practice.
• In depth knowledge of GIPS and best practices.
• Experience in using FactSet, Bloomberg, BlackRock, and Lipper LANA. Additional proprietary tools are also used.
• Strong quantitative, analytical and problem solving skills along with a high attention to detail.
• Advanced knowledge of Power Point and Excel, including designing, creating and maintaining complex spreadsheets, queries, reports and charts.
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
• Highly proactive and energetic with a focus toward client service.
• Strong individual initiative with the ability to take a proactive approach to assigned projects and new team initiatives.
• Ability to think strategically and build on system capabilities
• Able to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
• Programming knowledge and experience desired (VBA, Python, SQL).
A little about us:
Since its founding in 1935, Morgan Stanley and its people have helped redefine the meaning of financial services.