Spectrum News Buffalo (Western New York) is available on channels 9, 14 and 200 exclusively on Spectrum for customers in Western New York from Buffalo-Niagara to the Genesee Valley and the Southern Tier serving dozens of towns, villages and cities in an 8-county region. Spectrum News Buffalo provides the Buffalo metropolitan and Western New York area with 24-hour local news, politics, features and weather seven days a week.
The 24-hour news channel shares content with its sister channels in the Spectrum News Networks family: Spectrum News channels in Albany, Hudson Valley, Rochester and New York City, New York; in Austin and San Antonio, Texas; in Charlotte, Greensboro and Raleigh, North Carolina; in Tampa and Orlando, Florida. Responsible for developing and producing news stories by investigating, interviewing, shooting, writing, editing, producing and reporting on a daily basis.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Using creativity and imagination, and exercising strong professional news judgment, gathers information, conducts interviews, shoots video, produces and reports assigned stories and events on a daily basis. Will primarily work alone to report, shoot and edit stories.
- Functional to advanced knowledge in the use of field cameras, gear and editing systems. Must become proficient in photojournalism and video editing techniques.
- Stories should be factually accurate, fair and balanced in content, and written in a clear and concise manner.
- Obtains news information by developing sources and using research and interviewing skills. Conducts live or taped on-camera interviews.
- Deals professionally with public, both official and non-official, in gathering and reporting news.
- Maintains a strong familiarity with local and national news and issues of the day by reading newspapers and monitoring competition to the point that reporter can generally speak to issues credibly during breaking news situations. Maintains extensive knowledge of issues, events and newsmakers across Division viewing area.
- Edits copy written by others and edits video to written copy.
- Regularly adapts television scripts and files story for channel’s Internet site.
- Meets all assigned production deadlines.
- Contributes ideas for news stories, and participates in editorial meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- College degree in broadcast journalism or related field.
- One year news experience required; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Television experience preferred.
- Excellent writing skills, strong on-camera presence, diction and delivery of news copy are essential.
- Ability to work under time pressure deadlines, strong computer skills and willingness to work unscheduled hours which may include evenings and weekends.
- Familiarity with various studio and remote broadcasting equipment.
- Must have or develop functional to advanced knowledge of common television newsgathering equipment including cameras, tripods, microphones, lighting and other field equipment.
- Ability to operate news video editing systems, with functional knowledge of non-linear and/or desktop-based editing systems a plus.
- Be available by pager for on-call responsibilities.
- Must be willing to travel by ground or air.
- Valid Driver’s License; will be operating company vehicle.
- Must be able to function under considerable levels of stress and be able to manage multiple tasks.
- Will periodically either be sitting, standing, walking, crouching, or stooping.
- Must be able to use hands to finger, handle or feel, push and pull, reach with hands and arms and computer keyboard and mouse will be used continuously throughout the work day.
- Must frequently lift and/or move up to 30 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 70 pounds.
- Must be able to hear and speak since both written and verbal communications are required on a regular basis.
- Must have ability to recall, remember and maintain mental focus.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Must be visually able to use a computer continuously throughout the work day.
- Must be willing and able to work unscheduled hours, which may include evenings and weekends, particularly during breaking news.
- Noise level is usually moderate, but can be loud.
- The environment may be fast paced at times, requires the ability to rapidly accept change, requires the ability to handle multiple tasks and set priorities, and requires the ability to handle significant amounts of stress.
- Will work inside and outside throughout the year and may be exposed to extreme weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to high, precarious places.
Qualified candidates should apply online at jobs.spectrum.com will be considered.
A little about us:
Spectrum is the nation’s fastest growing TV, internet and voice company. We’re committed to integrating the highest quality service with superior entertainment and communications products.