Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Virology Customer Representative is a key member of the Customer Team and plays a critical role in supporting Merck's customer centric business model. He/she is responsible for working with the Customer Team to understand and identify customer needs, supporting pull-through activities relative to the customer strategy, keeping with Merck's values and standards as governed by our policies and ensuring that Merck is viewed as demonstrating better health outcomes to healthcare professionals and their patients. The Virology Customer Representative demonstrates professionalism and leadership by modeling the required knowledge for successful execution of all Field Sales competencies.
- Communicates product information in a way that's meaningful and relevant to each individual customer; customizes discussions and client interactions based on understanding of customer's needs
- Engages in informed discussions about products with HCP customers - knowing when/how to seek and provide additional information
- Within select customer accounts, acts as primary point of contact for customer, meets with key customers/personnel to understand practice structure, business model, key influencers (IDS, ADAP, DOC, VAs, DOH)/network structure, customer needs and identifies business opportunities
- For select customer accounts/HCPs, coordinates with customer team to develop customer strategy - outlining strategy for interactions/ relationship, solutions and potential offerings for customer
- Shares learnings and best-practices from one customer to help other customers meet their needs
- Demonstrates a focus on better health outcomes (considers the HCP & patient experience)
- Provides input into resource allocation decisions across customers
- Identifies and selects programs/services available in the library of Merck "resources" to address customer needs
- Maintains current understanding of practice structure, business model, key influencers/ network structure and makes information available to relevant stakeholders
- Influences beyond their specific geography or product area
- Embraces and maximizes new technological capabilities and channels to engage customers
- Engages in all job responsibilities and activities with the highest standards of ethics and integrity, with particular emphasis on compliance with all relevant laws, policies and regulations
- The Virology Customer Representative demonstrates the ability to execute at each stage of the sales process. He/she creates a compelling and logical rationale in positioning Merck's Virology products versus the competition by focusing on appropriate patient types and use of supportive approved resources
- Demonstrates the ability to stay ahead of market trends, assesses impact of dynamics on current business state and makes proactive recommendations to meet the future needs of the business. Demonstrates innovation, resilience and is able to adapt to ambiguous/evolving business environments
- Demonstrates advanced ability to ask strategic, insightful questions to obtain information on customer healthcare needs. Uses the insights to position Virology products and collaborates with customers on focused and customized business strategy
- Demonstrates the ability to identify customer/market segments and industry conditions in local market. Special emphasis on Specialty Pharmacy to leverage business opportunities and understanding of Virology products distribution channels/challenges
- Demonstrates the ability to drive results by appropriately managing the total Virology product portfolio by prioritizing individual opportunities and plan execution through customer segmentation, targeting and business analysis
- Articulates the complexities of the HIV/HCV payer environment, recognizing the role each stakeholder plays in the ability to access the Merck Virology product portfolio
- Demonstrates the ability to apply understanding of account needs and interdependencies in order to develop and execute account plans. Collaborates and models teamwork with extended members of the Virology Account Team (CLs, CTLs, Managed Care, Marketing) in the development of long-term account plans and customer centric solutions to improve value for both customers and patients
- Demonstrates the ability to embrace and maximize current and future technological capabilities and multi-channel opportunities to engage customers
- Demonstrates high-level collaboration skills to optimally maximize customer interactions and territory management with cross-functional Virology and non-Virology stakeholders such as Community Liaisons, IDS executives, fellow District members etc.
- Demonstrates the ability to forge and manage business relationships with difficult to access customers in a "no sample" environment
- Demonstrates ability to function effectively and employ a "business owner mindset" during business cycles undergoing a high-degree of change, including flexing across customer segments, product portfolios, and working in flexible matrix configurations
- Demonstrates high-level compliance with all Merck policies and procedures
This territory includes : Fresno/Bakersfield CA
The ideal location to reside is within this territory or within a reasonable commuting distance to work load center
Travel (%) varies based on candidate's location within the geography. Qualifications:
- Required: BA/BS
- Preferred: MBA/MS or advanced medical degree
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience working in one or more of the following areas: Pharmaceutical/Medical Device/Healthcare, Business to Business Sales, Consulting, Customer Service or Military.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Self- directed and organized
- Possess strong interpersonal and leadership qualities with demonstrated success in establishing and maintaining relationships in an academic or professional setting
- Excellent planning and organizational skills and good judgment
- Valid Driver's License and ability to drive a motor vehicle.
- Minimum of two (2) years working in one or more of the following areas: account management or sales experience in Infectious Disease and/or GI customers, with a preference for HIV and/or HCV product experience and/or launch experience
- Preference for specialty sales experience across multiple specialty markets with a preference for launch experience
- Experience in pharma, biotech or medical device sales
- Demonstrated experience developing and executing plans for engaging customers and meeting customer needs
- Demonstrated success in establishing, developing and maintaining relationships
- Prior experience working in a highly regulated industry or environment where compliance to laws and policies is critical
- Account experience working in complex hospital systems, teaching Institutions and community hospitals.
- Demonstrated skill set to identify account interdependencies and build partnerships with key stakeholders/departments
- Experience with complex payer environments, recognizing the role each stakeholder plays in the ability to access the product portfolio, especially pharmacy stakeholders
- Current disease state customers acknowledge individual as a trusted and reliable representative
- Experience interacting with scientific thought leaders and developing advocates across an adoption continuum
- Demonstrated ability to develop customer relationships in a challenging-to-access or "no sampling" environment
- High level of business acumen and account management skills
- Current relationships with key opinion leaders within designated account preferred.
- Leadership, planning and organization, self-motivation and initiative, ability to learn, understand and convey complex information.
- Understanding of the value and importance of approaching job responsibilities with ethics and integrity and working in a highly compliant environment
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement