This position is responsible for the architectural and engineering designs relating to the Charter Communications Class 4 voice tandem network. The employee will oversee the certification of new technologies and call flow scenarios in a lab environment prior to production implementation. This position requires a strong background in Sonus technologies and expert-level session border controller knowledge.MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONSSkills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Actively and consistently support all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience.
- Serve as architectural expert for the Sonus SBC infrastructure supporting all Charter Communications class 4 routing functions.
- Assist with the engineering and design of other Sonus platform elements, including PSX, SGX, GSX, DSI, EMS, DSC/x301/x401, and Netscore.
- Contribute to the development of new strategic voice service implementations, with a heavy focus on technical requirements, industry standards, and the impact on existing Charter Communications architecture.
- Create detailed test plans to certify vendor software loads and validate platform fixes prior to production deployment.
- Maintain awareness of industry trends and forthcoming technologies with focus on the benefits to Charter Communications and the MSO community as a whole.
- Create and maintain detailed architectural documentation for tandem core design, features, and certification history. Perform technical reviews of documentation created by other team members to ensure both clarity and accuracy.
- Prepare and deliver presentations to both managerial and technically audiences in an articulate and knowledgeable manner.
- Provide clear and concise technical reports and status updates for all levels of management.
- Engage vendor contacts and maintain relationships in order to drive both architecture development and escalated production issues.
- Provide technical support and guidance to QA, Operations, and other Engineering teams as required to support tandem platform interoperability.
- Identify and contribute to process improvements within the architecture team.
- Serve as part of the architecture team on-call rotation.
- Adheres to industry specific local, state, and federal regulations, as applicable.
- Knows, understands and follows company policy.
- Performs other duties as requested by manager.
- Demonstrated knowledge of session border controller implementations in a static peering environment with an emphasis on both Sonus and Oracle/Acme Packet SBCs
- Detailed technical and product knowledge of the Sonus suite of network elements (SGX, GSX, SBC, DSI, EMS, DSC/x301/x401, Netscore) with an emphasis on SBC configurations, specifications, limitations, and design.
- Detailed knowledge of SIP-based industry standards and call flows.
- Experience configuring and troubleshooting voice protocols including SIP, Diameter, SS7, SIGTRAN (M2PA/SUA/M3UA), ENUM, and DNS.
- Experience configuring and troubleshooting circuit technologies including T1, DS3, and OC-x transport.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of Linux-based operating systems.
- Experience using telecom test equipment for both load and feature testing.
- Knowledge of common data networking technologies (TCP, UDP, IP addressing, access control lists) and basic troubleshooting methods.
- Experience participating on project teams as both a leader and participant for long duration, highly technical projects.
- Prior experience with large scale voice deployments that include both TDM- and SIP-based PSTN connectivity.
- Experience with presentation creation software (Visio, PowerPoint).
- Ability to perform duties in a fast paced environment and learn new technologies quickly.
Master’s or Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or related field or related work experience
Industry and vendor specific certifications and training preferred (Sonus, Oracle, Cisco, etc.)Related Work Experience Number Of Years
Engineering work experience 5-10
Project management work experience 5-10PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONSSkills /Abilities and Knowledge
- Experience configuring and deploying a VMware-based virtualized infrastructure.
- Experience configuring and deploying Cisco UCS-C series rack servers and UCS 5108 chassis with fabric interconnects.
- Knowledge of both TDM and SIGTRAN (M2PA/SUA/M3UA) SS7 protocols including ISUP and TCAP and the uses of each.
- Experience with administration and configuration of NetApp storage arrays and Fibre Channel technologies.
- Experience with Metaswitch media gateways.
- Experience with Cisco BTS 10200 softswitch configurations.
- Knowledge of telecommunications mediation and rating process flows.
- Knowledge of company products and services.
Charter is an equal opportunity employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is the Law poster: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
Charter is committed to diversity, and values the ways in which we are different.