VP, Biologics Research, Discovery Head to be located in the US - Spring House, PA or La Jolla, CA for Janssen Biotherapeutics (JBIO), the biologics organization
within Janssen Research & Development, LLC.
At JBIO we are leaders in developing biologic solutions for
the treatment of challenging and complex diseases, and we aspire to translate
scientific discoveries into transformational medicines that will make
significant contributions to human health. Through our entrepreneurial culture
of innovation, we take unique approaches to exploring and developing new
therapeutic platforms to treat unmet medical needs.
We partner with experts in five therapeutic
areas—Immunology, Oncology, Neuroscience, Infectious Diseases and Vaccines and
Cardiovascular and Metabolism—to provide a strategic balance of technical,
scientific and clinical capabilities. We also work closely with Janssen
Pharmaceutical Development, Manufacturing Sciences (PDMS) and the Global
Regulatory Affairs organization on development and lifecycle management to
ensure that high-quality biologic drug products are provided to patients. Such
integration and planning across disciplines is critical to success and means
that we are involved in every stage of the process.
We are Janssen. Our mission drives us. Our patients inspire
us. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it. Bring your
talents to our mission, learn more at http://www.janssenrnd.com/
As the VP of Biologics Research, you
will lead the global strategy and capability delivery of the biologics
discovery organization. Providing scientific leadership to a global team
of ~120 in providing hands-on,
“end-to-end” expertise and guidance throughout the preclinical and clinical
phases, and milestones of the biologics discovery and development process. Harnessing
internal expertise along with external innovations to develop a portfolio of
more than 50 novel and differentiated biologic drug candidates.
- The primary role of this leader will be to
partner with the therapeutic areas and other functional groups to build their
early discovery pipeline and deliver on biologics development candidates.
- Develop a competitive strategy and maintain
state of the art expertise and capabilities in the field of biologics discovery
- Function as a key member of Biotherapeutics
senior leadership team, setting strategy and course, and ensuring
cross-functional coordination in elevating our biotechnology efforts
- Cultivate partnerships with TA discovery
leadership to enable effective use of biologics in all TA portfolios
- Champion protein therapeutics by proactively
communicating capabilities and potential across the pharmaceutical therapeutic
areas, as well as in medical devices and diagnostics. Proactively partner with TA leaders to drive
alignment on critical program decisions
- Provide expert support in discovery of new
protein and combination products.
- Build collaborative relationships with
internal/external partners to drive innovation or value creation
- Guide transparency in timeline and resource
management. Develop budgets and
- Make sound strategic decisions &
investment trade-offs to maximize the short, medium, long-term portfolio
- Transform platforms strategy through ongoing
evaluation of the field and pivot strategy as required
- Empower monoclonal antibody discovery through
generating, engineering and optimizing monoclonal antibody products and
- Innovate, ensuring discovery and optimization
of therapeutic proteins product classes beyond monoclonal antibodies and
pioneer new protein and cell product platform technologies
- Advance scientific & technical approaches
to generate greater value, reduce risk, or increase efficiency
- Influence key stakeholders to shape the
biotechnology strategy and direction
- Access cutting-edge science in the external
- Lead a high performing team of scientists
across varied specialty areas and in diverse geographies and environments
(US-Spring House- PA, LaJolla – CA; EU-Beerse-BE as well as innovation center
projects around the globe)
- Articulate a vision for biologics discovery of
the future, engaging and mobilizing employees around that vision, and
delivering superior value
- Encourage diverse thinking and open challenge to
drive greater innovation
- Establish a talent engagement culture by
creating an environment that prioritizes skills and talent development.
- Identify and address training and skills gaps
to optimize organizational performance.
- Managing and rewarding risk-taking
- The position requires a strong people leader
with a documented strong history of excellence in science.
- To be successful, you will possess in-depth
knowledge and technical expertise in protein therapeutics discovery and
development or related fields.
- Understanding of biologics discovery is
essential and thus should be evidenced by previous direct experience in the
field, from target concept to preclinical development.
- Knowledge of in vitro and in vivo approaches to
multiple protein therapeutic platforms, including monoclonal antibodies,
alternative scaffolds, growth factor and peptide therapeutics, will be crucial.
- Exceptional organizational and planning
abilities to effectively direct complex development programs with shifting, and
sometimes conflicting, priorities across TAs.
- Minimum of 10-15 years relevant experience with 5
years of senior management experience.
- Advanced degree (PhD or MD or equivalent)
Innovator | Relationship Builder| Influencer | Collaborator|
Thought Leader |
- Deliver results by inspiring, leading and
persuading others across a global matrix, within and outside of J&J,
without direct authority or formalized structure
- Sought after as an expert & thought leader
in Biotechnology with the ability to motivate and influence.
- Understanding of global markets and unmet needs
to increase the value of the portfolio
- Entrepreneurial spirit with a drive for creating
a compelling vision of the future and inspire people to achieve it
- Attract exceptional and diverse scientific
talent into the organization
- Successfully develop a pipeline of diverse
- Aid in the discovery or advancement of
biotechnology drugs through the pipeline
- Create a culture of accountability and
- Intellectually Curious, Articulate and Solutions
- Strong customer focus and belief in Credo values
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring HouseOther Locations
North America-United States-California-La JollaOrganization
Janssen Research & Development, LLC. (6084)Job Function
A little about us:
Johnson & Johnson cares for the world - bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people.