At MetLife, we're leading the global transformation of an industry we've long defined. United in purpose, diverse in perspective, we're dedicated to making a difference in the lives of our customers.
MetLife, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a global provider of life insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management with operations in nearly 50 countries and leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East. With a proven track record of financial strength and delivering on promises since 1868, the company prides itself on helping people plan for their future by protecting what matters most - their families and their achievements.
With 2015 total Operating Revenues of ~$70 billion, MetLife is ranked #39 on the Fortune 500 list and #50 on the Forbes Global 2000 list of the world's largest public companies. Globally, the company has ~69,000 employees serving approximately 100 million customers, individuals and businesses, including 90 of the FORTUNE 100®. MetLife is also one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with a $508.2 billion general account portfolio at December 31, 2015. In 2015, FORTUNE Magazine's World's Most Admired Company survey named MetLife #1 in the Life and Health Insurance industry.
MetLife is an ambitious company with the scale, scope and talent to lead the transformation of the insurance and employee benefits industry, driving world-class standards of performance around the globe. Launched in 2012 by MetLife Chairman, President and CEO Steven A. Kandarian, the company's enterprise strategy is based on four cornerstones : Refocus the U.S. Business, Grow Emerging Markets, Build the Global Employee Benefits Business and Drive Toward Customer Centricity and a Global Brand. Concrete actions are well underway in each of these strategic focus areas, including moving to a horizontally integrated global operating model to help drive greater leverage of technology and operations and the more consistent application of functional priorities across global markets.
As One MetLife, the company has defined common values shared across the enterprise: Put Customers First, Be the Best, Make Things Easier, and Succeed Together . These values guide how employees operate every day and are reflected in the company's commitment to creating a world-class organization which places a high value on motivational leadership, engaged talent, and customer focus. For more information on working at MetLife, please visit MetLife Careers .
MetLife Index Strategies is the preferred index provider of choice for MetLife's US Separate Accounts. The team is part of MetLife's Investments department and has ~$26.5B of assets under management. In addition to managing MetLife's Separate Account assets, the group offers its index management capabilities through MetLife Investment Management ("MIM"). MIM is a key business initiative to build an asset management business for the Enterprise. DEPARTMENT:
Investments SUBDEPARTMENT (if applicable):
Global Structured Products / MetLife Index Strategies THE ROLE:
The position sits within the Investments department and rolls into the Index Strategies unit within Global Structured Products. The most important performance criteria is that the candidate have a proven expertise in fixed income index management, business acumen, presentations skills, customer service and partnership building. This leader will not only be responsible for building strong trusted relationships with our internal business partners inside of the investments group and in the insurance line of business, but also present and represent our MetLife Investments Management business. Key Relationships:
Reports to: Managing Director, MetLife Index Strategies / Fund Management
Direct Reports: 1 Direct report
Other Key Stakeholders: Equity index management team, fixed income traders, credit research, Insurance lines of business, clients, MIM sales team, compliance and legal. Location:
Whippany, NJ Key Responsibilities:
- Portfolio Management
- Senior fixed income portfolio manager responsible for all aspects of portfolio management.
- Focus on delivering investment results, ensuring tight tracking error versus respective benchmarks.
- Ensure compliance with investment guidelines, regulations and 1940 act policies.
- Analyze and attribute portfolio performance, monitor capital market / sector events and understand second and third order effects on the portfolios and indexes.
- Customer Service
- Responsible for presenting the MetLife Index Strategies brand to existing and potential clients including: explaining the portfolio management process, investment philosophy, risks controls and portfolio construction techniques.
- Provide insights on portfolio performance, attribution and capital market events.
- Develop customized benchmarks targeting duration, quality and sectors exposures.
- Contribute / lead due diligence meetings and interactions with clients, lines of business (LOB), compliance and legal associates.
- Responsible for representing Index management capabilities to prospective clients of MetLife Investment Management
- Ability to communicate investment management processes, index management business and competitive advantage of utilizing MetLife Index Strategies.
- Partner with sales team on effort to grow the index management business to third party clients.
CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONS: Business Knowledge/Technical Skills:
- Partnership / Team Building
- Partner with fixed income traders to ensure best execution per trade specifications, compliance and portfolio guideline requirements.
- Partner with LOB, clients, compliance and legal associates to construct, adapt and implement investment guidelines that satisfy all company and client-specific directives.
- Manage team, safeguarding that all portfolio requirements are satisfied. Offer guidance and enrichment for employee development; guaranteeing continuity of the portfolio management process.
- Legal / Regulatory
- Ensure portfolio management is consistent with 1940 act regulations, IRS diversification requirements and ERISA standards
- Lead periodic reviews and monitoring of Service Level Agreements (SLA) and 15(c) filings.
- Research and evaluate proposed changes to and maintaining of, existing policies for contract reviews/renewals.
- 15- 20 years of the Investments experience with proven abilities in fixed income index management, performance attribution, product development, client relations and business strategy.
- Strong quantitative, analytical and organizational skills with keen attention to detail and follow-through.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, required for client meetings, webinars, presentations and portfolio commentary creation.
- Understanding of 1940 act regulations, IRS diversification rules and applicable ERISA standards.
- Hands on knowledge of Bloomberg, Bloomberg Port, Blackrock Aladdin, Barclays POINT, custody/accounting banking systems and detailed proficiency in Excel, Word and Powerpoint.
- MBA preferred, CFA / other investment certifications a plus.
- Thinks Strategically - Sets direction aligned to the company's strategy, applying external and global perspective to meet local and global needs.
- Creates Partnerships - Authentically builds trusted relationships and collaborates across global, diverse and multi-functional teams to successfully drive business objectives.
- Models our Values - Creates a culture that promotes the company's values and standards through role modeling, accountability and ownership of decisions.
- Focuses on Customers - Promotes customer centricity and ensures focus on creating great customer experiences to achieve competitive advantage.
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife's policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, martial or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife's policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace. Note to Mobile Users: If viewing on a mobile device and would like to apply, please email the job to yourself and complete the application from a desktop/laptop. Note to Desktop/Laptop Users: For immediate consideration, click Apply Now button below. You will be directed to complete an on-line profile which takes 10 - 15 minutes to complete. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation email verifying you have successfully applied to the job. Internal Use Only: 15A
MetLife offers life insurance, disability income insurance, car insurance, employee benefits and more.