VP, Global Content Strategy
Role Value Proposition:
Some of the greatest companies in the world have set themselves apart by the value of the information they bring to their customers. In MetLife’s quest to create deep, meaningful relationships with customers that last a lifetime, content strategy and development is what will ultimately define and differentiate the MetLife brand from its competition. Content is also key to MetLife’s ability to attract new customers. Our research has helped us define what matters most to our highest valued customers. With a deep understanding of our customers’ needs, and through the power of digital marketing, we can now connect with our customers in ways and through new digital channels that have never before been leveraged in the enterprise.
To take advantage of this opportunity, MetLife is seeking a VP of Content Strategy to define the role content plays globally and within markets to build and differentiate the brand, drive acquisition through value, grow deep relationships with customers, and ultimately deliver against market objectives. This role will be integral to delivering exceptional and unique experiences to the MetLife customers worldwide. The VP of Content Strategy is a critical leader within the Client Experience & Design team, and will drive the development of the content marketing strategy, content development across all digital and non-digital channels, SEO/SEM strategy, and the guiding principles for tone, voice, and messaging. This key leadership role will be responsible for supporting business partners globally with best practices, guidance, and governance for localizing their content strategies, tying content to business objectives and outcomes, and developing plans for activating their strategies in market. Critical to the success of this role will be his/her ability to define a global/regional/local operating model for how content is created at MetLife, as well as strategies for distributing content across digital and non-digital channels. Accountability for this role will have visibility with both the CEO and Executive Group, who have specifically put a priority focus on content as a differentiator for MetLife.
- Define the global vision for the role of content at MetLife, not just within marketing, but across the entire global enterprise.
- Define global content principles that ladder up to MetLife’s global brand and messaging strategy.
- Create audience-specific content strategies based on customer research, to attract and convert new customers, while building and deepening relationships with existing customers.
- Develop a world-class “always on” SEO strategy that maximizes MetLife’s investment in the Web, cost-effectively increasing traffic to MetLife properties, and exponentially expanding the reach of the brand.
- Develop strategies for content distribution across owned, earned, and paid digital channels.
- Lead and establish best writing practices for copy creation across the entire MetLife global enterprise – including, but not limited to, MetLife’s digital platforms, social media, digital & print advertising, internal/external communications, and other business unit communications (HR, Legal, etc.)
- Train the trainers who can be deployed across MetLife’s many business units and local markets to ensure that the enterprise content strategy is adapted worldwide
- Track the efficacy of content across the enterprise, taking measures where necessary to guide improvements
- Collaborate with global leaders to deliver a best-in-class customer experience, where content serves as a chief differentiator
- Develop an operational model for how content is developed globally/regionally/locally, such to maximize the efficiency, reach, and value of the content that is created across MetLife
- Design and manage an ongoing process for governance and quality control
- Lead and effectively develop a team of in-house and freelance content strategists, copy/content producers, and SEO experts; grow talent and develop clear development and succession paths
- Play a lead role in the global Digital Marketing community of practice.
- Foster a healthy “one team” culture that values diversity and inclusion, where ideas can be expressed freely, and collaboration and communication are valued as critical to success
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- 10+ years’ experience working in a content strategy and editorial function, preferably with a large global brand or major publication
- Proven ability to operationalize large, global enterprise programs around tone of voice and messaging, including the development of training programs for content development and governance
- Experience developing content strategies based on segmentation, consumer insights, and customer journeys with measurable success
- Ability to create global content strategy frameworks that connect the mission of the brand with consumer needs, and that can be adapted by local markets to drive performance across the marketing funnel
- Strong proficiency with organic and paid search, and developing content strategies that support both
- Strong interpersonal skills for working with local markets around the globe, teaching and evangelizing the power of content strategy and development to fulfill critical business objectives
- People management experience including the ability to inclusively and proactively develop, lead and motivate a team of managers and individual contributors to drive engagement and performance
- MBA or other advanced degree desirable
Reports to: VP, Digital Marketing & Content
Direct Reports: AVP/Director, Global Editor-In-Chief; Search Engine Optimization Lead
Other Key Stakeholders: SVP, Client Experience & Design; Senior Business Unite Heads; Regional Chief Marketing Officers; Regional Digital Leads; Local Digital Marketing Practitioners; Writers/Authors & Content Developers across the Enterprise
Department: Digital & Content Marketing
Location: New York City
- Thinks strategically and sets directions aligned to company’s strategy, applying external perspective to meet business needs
- Focuses on Customers – Promotes customer centricity and focus on creating great customer experiences to achieve competitive advantage.
- Innovative mindset, out-of-the-box thinker, inspirational to influence team, peers and leadership
- Creates Partnerships – Authentically builds trusted relationships and collaborates across global, diverse and multi-functional teams to successfully drive business objectives. Demonstrated experience navigating, influencing and leading within a highly matrix environment.
- Grows Talent – Inclusively and pro-actively develops talent, empowers individuals and manages diverse teams to drive engagement and performance
- Models our Values – Creates a culture that promotes the company’s values and standards through role modeling, accountability and ownership of decisions. Accomplished change management leader, leads with internal strength, projects confidence without any form of ego
- Drives Results – Sets aggressive goals and is accountable for continuously driving improved performance, leading change and ensuring high standards.
- Strong executive presence and excellent communication and presentation skills
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife's policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
For immediate consideration, click the Apply Now button. You will be directed to complete an on-line profile. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation email verifying you have successfully applied to the job.
Requisition #: 57281