Job Location: New York, NY
Global Strategy advises MetLife’s top executive officers (referred to as Executive Group) and works in partnership with global businesses. Global Strategy functions as an in-house strategic consulting group, responsible for leading programs that create, communicate and support strategic direction and initiatives globally.
The Vice President, Global Strategy, will be responsible for scoping, defining and coordinating major pieces of the Strategy Refresh and strategic initiatives with 500M+ in earnings impact including a clear focus on product simplification providing the right strategic overview for the enterprise. This individual should have a skill-set and expertise across Corporate Finance, Marketing, Product Management, Channel/Distribution and General Management. S/he will interface directly with the CEO, the Executive Group members, Regional Leaders and local country managers both collectively and individually. This individual will be a representative for the Global Strategy Group in many of the decision making bodies across the company (e.g., planning boards, deal committees, etc.)
- Articulate a global strategy designed for long term sustainability taking into account relevant external trends. Continually monitor external market and recommend changes to strategy as necessary.
- Translate MetLife senior management vision into an enterprise–wide vision and strategy, with metrics and business objectives as goals.
- Systematize competitive intelligence working closely with regional partners to create a quarterly cadence on reporting key initiatives.
- Key lead on conducting SWAT analysis on a constant stream of topics that require evaluation to inform and evolve strategy.
- Play a primary role in driving the implementation of key strategic initiatives and executing outcomes based on project plans.
- Provide deep evaluation of the opportunities and threats from current and future competitors and partners. Manage the research of information on environmental forces and industry trends that shape the global insurance and financial services marketplace.
- Lead and work on global cross-functional teams to evaluate, provide insight and drive strategic outcomes that have the greatest impact on the Company. Enable the transfer of strategic ideas into operational decisions
- Provide expertise to local teams to expedite execution of the Global Strategy and help them adapt strategies and processes to local market. Align bottom-up strategies within the regions and countries with focus on the highest priority enterprise initiatives and markets.
- Communicate the strategy to constituents including the Executive Group, senior executives, company employees, and other stakeholders.
- 8-10+ years of experience post MBA with 3+ years at a top tier strategy consulting firm and/or 10+ years top tier consulting firm experience with undergraduate degree.
- Prior experience working for a global financial services company is preferred; prior international work experience and a foreign language skill are an advantage.
- Successful track record of supporting top management in defining the strategic intent, vision and direction and of translating that vision into specific business strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to work with senior stakeholders across business lines to identify, analyze and plan actionable initiatives and led cross-functional teams. Must be a catalyst for change.
- Able to structure and conduct detailed, data-driven analyses.
- Fact based decision maker with candid approach to business dealings.
- Experience in client-side and supplier-side market intelligence and competitor intelligence.
- Deep experience in financial services strategy development, business case development, business management, initiative planning and project management. Knowledge of the markets, competitors, industry trends, products and distribution methods, with a focus on high priority markets.
- Strong communicator, both internally and externally, must be able to work comfortably at the highest levels of the business and to manage stakeholders through clear written and verbal communications.
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally and work across global time zones.
- MBA or equivalent degree from a top ranked institution highly preferred
- Thinks Strategically – Sets direction aligned to the company’s strategy, applying external and global perspective to meet local and global needs.
- Motivates People – Gains people commitment to achieve business objectives through clear communication of the company’s vision and flexing leadership styles to inspire high performance.
- Creates Partnerships – Authentically builds trusted relationships and collaborates across global, diverse and multi-functional teams to successfully drive business objectives.
- Seizes Opportunity – Seeks new opportunities and ways to create balanced business growth while improving operational capabilities.
- Grows Talent – Inclusively and pro-actively develops talent, empowers individuals and manages diverse teams to drive engagement and performance.
- Models our Values – Creates a culture that promotes the company’s values and standards through role modeling, accountability and ownership of decisions.
- Focuses on Customers – Promotes customer centricity and ensures focus on creating great customer experiences to achieve competitive advantage.
- Drives Results – Sets aggressive goals and is accountable for continuously driving improved performance, leading change and ensuring high standards.
- Reports to: EVP and Chief Strategy Officer
- Direct reports/team: 3
- Key Stakeholders: CEO, the Executive Group members, Regional Leaders and local country managers both collectively
MetLife, through our subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the largest life insurance companies in the world. Founded in 1868, we are a global provider of life insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management. Our employees serve approximately 100 million customers, individuals and businesses, including over 90 of the FORTUNE 100®.
We are ranked #40 on the Fortune 500 list and #48 on the Forbes Global 500 list. We have operations in nearly 50 countries, and hold leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East. We are also one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with an over $500 billion general account portfolio as of December 31, 2015.
In 2015, FORTUNE Magazine’s World’s Most Admired Company survey named us #1 in the Life and Health Insurance industry. In 2016, we were named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the first time. DJSI is a global index to track the leading sustainability-driven companies.
While we have tremendous respect for the past, we are a company firmly focused on the future. To adapt to a changing world, we are undergoing one of the most dramatic transformations in our history to reinvent how we do business so we can thrive in any environment. We are moving away from a traditional product-development model to one driven by customer insights. We are challenging historical norms by humanizing our industry and designing every customer experience to reflect the modern company we’re becoming. Our goal in everything we do is to offer customers truly differentiated value propositions that allow us to establish clear competitive advantages. We pride ourselves on being a trusted partner to our customers as they navigate life’s twists and turns.
At the center of our business strategy is a commitment to One MetLife – collaborating, sharing best practices, and recruiting, developing and retaining the best talent in the industry. We live by our values: Put Customers First, Be the Best, Make Things Easier, and Succeed Together. They guide how we operate every day.
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife's policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
For immediate consideration, click the Apply Now button. You will be directed to complete an on-line profile. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation email verifying you have successfully applied to the job.
MetLife offers life insurance, disability income insurance, car insurance, employee benefits and more.