Role Value Proposition
This position leads the Global Government Relations (GGR) team responsible for representing MetLife's interests before the U.S. federal government. The incumbent advises senior management and leads the company's strategic direction on federal policy priorities affecting MetLife's corporate and product interests. The incumbent leverages expertise and relationships with federal governmental and industry stakeholders in order to achieve MetLife's short and long-term priorities in the U.S., and leads collaboration of his/her group with other GGR teams on issues with cross-jurisdictional impacts. Principal Accountabilities:
- Manage, lead, and coordinate lobbying activities by MetLife's Federal Government Relations staff and consultants on issues pending before Congress, the Administration, and U.S. federal agencies.
- Identify and prioritize company federal legislative and regulatory priorities in coordination with business partners, senior company executives, and other GGR teams (i.e. the Regulatory Policy Group) . Provide guidance on the formulation of company positions, on policy direction and on strategies for advocacy. This entails building relationships with senior management and keeping interested parties within MetLife informed about ongoing developments on priority issues.
- Lead the cultivation and maintenance of high-level relationships with federal government officials, industry leaders, national trade and industry associations, and other opinion leaders in furtherance of MetLife's goals. Assume active/leadership roles in industry groups to promote MetLife positions and concerns.
- Provide advice on federal political matters to Global Government Relations and company leadership.
- Lead MetLife's federal political action committee and grassroots program.
- 10 or more years of U.S. federal government relations experience
- Proven relationships with Congressional members and Executive branch officials
- Experience managing a team
- Life insurance / financial services experience required
- Proven success in legislative/regulatory advocacy
- Firsthand knowledge of the legislative/regulatory process
- Ability to effectively interact with business clients
- Strong analytical ability and oral and written communications skills
- Excellent academic credentials
- Ability to handle multiple projects effectively
- The position manages the staffing and budget for the U.S. Federal Government Relations team.
- The bottom line success of the company is impacted directly by the federal legislative and regulatory environment in which we do business. At the extreme, such legislative and regulatory changes can establish or eliminate whole markets.
- On an everyday basis, federal laws and rules that govern product features, corporate and product taxation, investments, and employment practices, among other things, impact MetLife's earnings and profitability.
- Reports to: SVP, Global Government Relations
- Thinks Strategically - Sets direction aligned to the company's strategy, applying external and global perspective to meet local and global needs.
- Motivates People - Gains people commitment to achieve business objectives through clear communication of the company's vision and flexing leadership styles to inspire high performance.
- Creates Partnerships - Authentically builds trusted relationships and collaborates across global, diverse and multi-functional teams to successfully drive business objectives.
- Focuses on Customers - Promotes customer centricity and ensures focus on creating great customer experiences to achieve competitive advantage.
- Drives Results - Sets aggressive goals and is accountable for continuously driving improved performance, leading change and ensuring high standards.
MetLife, through our subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the largest life insurance companies in the world. Founded in 1868, we are a global provider of life insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management. Our employees serve approximately 100 million customers, individuals and businesses, including over 90 of the FORTUNE 100®.
We are ranked #40 on the Fortune 500 list and #48 on the Forbes Global 500 list. We have operations in nearly 50 countries, and hold leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East. We are also one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with an over $500 billion general account portfolio as of December 31, 2015.
In 2015, FORTUNE Magazine's World's Most Admired Company survey named us #1 in the Life and Health Insurance industry. In 2016, we were named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the first time. DJSI is a global index to track the leading sustainability-driven companies.
While we have tremendous respect for the past, we are a company firmly focused on the future. To adapt to a changing world, we are undergoing one of the most dramatic transformations in our history to reinvent how we do business so we can thrive in any environment. We are moving away from a traditional product-development model to one driven by customer insights. We are challenging historical norms by humanizing our industry and designing every customer experience to reflect the modern company we're becoming. Our goal in everything we do is to offer customers truly differentiated value propositions that allow us to establish clear competitive advantages. We pride ourselves on being a trusted partner to our customers as they navigate life's twists and turns.
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife's policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, martial or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
MetLife offers life insurance, disability income insurance, car insurance, employee benefits and more.