The VP of Surgical Services drives operational excellence throughout the service area and leads growth of service line volume within facility, development of new programs and advancement of existing ones. Partners with senior administrators, executives and professional staff to distinguish his/her facilities' services and experience in the eyes of the physician, patient and consumers.
Executes Strategy by:
• Scanning the competitive environment, leading business planning process and providing strategies to drive profitable service line growth while reducing costs per case.
• Partnering closely with senior executives, sales and marketing executives and service line management to enable growth strategies.
• Developing business case, including financials, for new program development and capital projects.
• Identifying and driving new physician and volume opportunities for the hospital ensuring alignment with clinical leaders.
• Working together with marketing and physician relations executives to promote the services to physicians and consumers.
• Collaborating with physicians to develop and foster positive working relationships.
Increases Operational Efficiency by:
• Monitoring key operational and financial metrics for improvement opportunities.
• Driving process improvement within the service line to increase employee engagement and physicians satisfaction.
• Enabling finding solutions to problems that get in the way of differentiated service.
• Working with hospital administrative team and department director(s) for program development, implementation, execution monitoring and evaluation of services at the hospital.
• Ensuring physician and professional staff have the necessary equipment to perform.
• Participating in hospital annual budgeting process related to service line.
• Engaging with national, division and facility service lines leaders to obtain and share best practices in service line.
• Supporting the recruitment process to secure staffing talent.
Improves Clinical Outcomes by:
• Supporting a positive patient experience by providing optimal cost effective delivery of services by physicians and professional staff within a safe department
• Ensuring that oversight, processes and resources are in place to improve clinical outcomes
• Enabling clinical excellence by aligning goals with the clinical leaders and removing barriers for clinical practice as needed
• Communicating to clinical leaders any matters that can affect the clinical operations and deferring clinical judgments to those leaders
• Participating in rounding with patients and meeting with physicians and staff to ensure a high quality patient experience
• Collaborating with the facility surgical procedure schedulers focusing on accurate data collection and customer service to increase the surgical volume
Supports HCA by:
• Promoting consistent positive patient interactions that advance the agenda of unparalleled patient service
• Practicing and adhering to the "Code of Conduct" philosophy and "Mission and Value Statement"
• Performing other duties as assigned
Education & Experience:
•3 years of experience in healthcare
•3 years of experience in business development
•3 years of experience in a leadership role
Required or equivalent combination of education and/or experience
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Behaviors:
• Proven success in setting strategic direction and develop business plans to promote growth
• Demonstrated ability to translate strategy into action and multiple priorities
• Demonstrated ability to lead and promote service excellence for customers
• Strong business acumen and demonstrated ability to solve difficult business problems through careful and systematic evaluation of information, possible alternatives and consequences
• Experienced in developing and encouraging strategic relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work and organizational goals
• Communicates with a purpose and intent with people at all levels in the organization and outside networks, including team members, vendors and patients
• Demonstrated ability to effectively coach, develop and lead others.
• Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to partner with and influence all levels of the organization.
• Exposure and knowledge of Service Line (e.g., Surgical or Emergency Services)
• Reference HCA Leads
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom