Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
MS Wealth Management (MSWM) Operational Risk
Morgan Stanley Wealth Management (MSWM) Operational Risk group is responsible for overseeing the operational risk and control framework within the Wealth Management business unit. This team partners with the Business Risk and Control groups throughout the organization to implement control processes and procedures, report operational losses and reporting, manage audits and exams with Compliance and Internal Audit, organize the annual Risk and Control Self-Assessment, and coordinate new operational risk programs in partnership with the business as well as Firm Operational Risk Management.
Key Responsibilities will include but not limited to the following:
This role will provide broad exposure to all functions and business lines within Wealth Management. The main responsibilities of this role will be to contribute to Wealth Management Operational Risk initiatives which focus on mitigating risk and improving the control environment within Wealth Management. The work consists of ongoing, business as usual processes as well as discrete projects that are strategic in nature.
Specific duties will include:
• Play a key role in facilitating the completion of the Firm's Risk and Control Self-Assessment (RCSA) program, working closely with Business Control groups within Wealth Management to identify key risks and controls, evaluate inherent and residual risk, and establish mitigation plans. Strong data mining skills needed to support this program.
• Manage and support various aspects of routine senior management operational risk reporting. The materials include monthly and quarterly metrics covering issues and actions, internal audit results, operational risk incidents, Risk Acceptance Process, RCSA, etc.
• Work with Business Control groups to identify operational risks associated with new and existing products, services, technologies, vendors, processes and procedures to ensure that risks are effectively managed and action plans created
• Manage ad hoc projects by ensuring on time delivery and the right level of quality
The Candidate will analyze and identify areas of potential risk within MSWM's Operational Risk group preparing metrics reporting (including monthly and quarterly analysis) and disseminate trending reports to Risk Management partners. Identify opportunities for operational improvement and/or remediation and assist with corresponding change management activities, including: requirements development, process design, policy/procedure revision, etc. The candidate would support a variety of operational risk management initiatives and special projects, including targeted risk assessments and remediation projects. A successful candidate will already understand operational risk management concepts and be able to immediately add value to the team. Deliverables are often related to ad-hoc and unanticipated requests, so a successful candidate must be able to deal with changing priorities, making good decisions about how to get the work done and communicating immediately where there are real risks to on-time delivery. Attention to detail and accuracy is critical, given the executive audience for much of the team's work. A candidate needs to be collaborative and able to build effective working relationships with all levels of employees across the organization.
Specific qualifications required are:
• 5 years of related experience in Financial Services preferably within Wealth Management, with involvement in Operational Risk Management preferred
• Experience with operational risk disciplines and processes, risks and controls
• Strong leadership, and project management skills and ability to manage many competing priorities
• Highly motivated individual with outstanding record of professional achievement
• Strong interpersonal and project management skills including written and verbal communication
• Strong organization skills with the ability to multitask and prioritize; ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
• Strong analytical, data mining and problem solving skills (critical thinking ability)
• Ability to work in a small team environment, building and maintain a network of contacts and coordinating with a large number of stakeholders
• Fully versed in Microsoft Office suite, emphasis in Excel and PowerPoint
• Bachelor's degree
A little about us:
Since its founding in 1935, Morgan Stanley and its people have helped redefine the meaning of financial services.