JOB SUMMARYThe Charter AWS (Advanced Wi-Fi Solutions) wireless Network Designer will review building diagrams, technical requirements and site survey information to generate design documents needed for the effective deployment of highly functional 802.11 solutions. This positions supports many different market verticals from: Hospitality, Gov/Ed, Community Solutions, Healthcare as well as Sports and Entertainment. The ideal candidate will be an experienced professional with working knowledge of building construction, analyzing RF environments, current industry leading 802.11 wireless standards, applicable knowledge from hotspot to stadium grade deployment principles.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Critical elements of this role include, not just the technical requirements but aligning closely with operational support, Project Management and others to assist in the continued review and delivery of highly reliable network designs.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONSSkills/Abilities and Knowledge
- Create fully comprehensive network designs to meet wireless and back office core requirements defined by the customer use case.
- Integrate knowledge of building construction, RF behavioral characteristics and current network hardware (Cisco, Brocade, Ruckus) limitations to create a design proposal.
- Gather and translate customer requirements or strategic business objectives into final product design and leverage the available solutions for multiple initiatives.
- Be fluent in authentication, access control, policy creation, policy enforcement, application acceleration, roaming, EMS/NMS, scale, redundancy and reliability in controller based Wi-Fi architectures.
- Perform in-depth site survey’s using the latest test equipment available to determine pre-existing environments.
- Make decisions and recommendations for technical solutions of a Managed Wi-Fi service offering.
- When a contract is secured, review designs prior to providing to project management team to ensure the transition from quoting to PM to installation is clear.
- Serve as technical advisor to installation team and educate/ teach as necessary.
- Interact with the customer’s design team on new builds as well as architects and engineers.
- Hands on experience working knowledge of LAN Switching architecture including design and implementation.
- Create, manipulate and present Visio diagrams which illustrate complicated and special design situations.
- Create RFQs for cabling and engage cabling contractors if needed for pricing to be added to a network design
- Must have strong knowledge in fundamental IP/Ethernet networking
- Experienced in data communications, networking principles, traffic engineering, and bandwidth capacity management.
- Fundamental understanding of modern router architecture (control plane and forwarding plane separation, switch fabric design, egress queuing, IP lookup algorithms).
- Fundamental knowledge in packet based protocols such as TCP/IP (including protocols like DHCP, DNS, TCP, UDP, etc.), MPLS and routing protocols such as OSPF, BGP4.
- Experienced telecommunications engineer with the ability to understand physical and data-link layer media properties and implications as they relate to network architecture (i.e. fiber optics, 802.11, HFC, DOCSIS, RF, etc.). This includes, but not limited to, understanding where and when Cat5, Cat6, RG6 or SMF would be used.
OTHER: - Ability to self-manage time and efforts with little to no direct supervision
- BS/BA in related discipline (i.e., EE, CS, etc.) OR MS/MA and 2-4 years of experience in related field. Will consider additional related industry experience in lieu of degree.
- Minimum 3+ years of experience as a technical specialist / engineer in a Telecommunications / Wireless / MSO company supporting IEEE 802.11 technologies.
- Knowledge of data network phenomena relating to network performance: response time, throughput, and availability.
- Knowledge of Wi-Fi Alliance and 802.11 specifications.
- Knowledge of Security protocols and authentication (802.1x, AAA, RADIUS)
EDUCATION:BS/BA in related discipline (i.e., EE, CS, etc.) OR MS/MA and 2-4 years of experience in related field. Will consider additional related industry experience in lieu of degree.RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE: Minimum 3+ years of experience as a technical specialist / engineer in a Telecommunications / Wireless / MSO company supporting IEEE 802.11 technologies. WORKING CONDITIONS:In order to be successful in this role, it’s necessary to work closely as a team in an established office environment.
- Ability to learn independently, research products and technologies using the internet, documentation and to problem solve
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite with strong Excel and Visio skills
- Excellent knowledge of Salesforce, Air Magnet, Tamograph, PDF Viewer and Adobe
- Excellent customer facing and verbal skills
- Ability to read, understand and decipher architectural plans
A little about us:
Spectrum is the nation’s fastest growing TV, internet and voice company. We’re committed to integrating the highest quality service with superior entertainment and communications products.