Overview: Aramark (NYSE: ARMK) is in the customer service business across food, facilities and uniforms, wherever people work, learn, recover, and play. United by a passion to serve, our more than 270,000 employees deliver experiences that enrich and nourish the lives of millions of people in 22 countries around the world every day. Aramark is recognized among the Most Admired Companies by FORTUNE and the World's Most Ethical Companies by the Ethisphere Institute. Learn more at www.aramark.com or connect with us on Facebook and Twitter .
Aramark's leisure group specializes in lodging, recreation, conference centers and meeting services. The scope of our operations includes lodging, conference and meeting space, houseboats and other marine activities, retail merchandise, casual and fine dining experiences, and interpretive tours in some of this country's most pristine protected lands and national parks. We have been active partners with the National Park Service for over 20 years, providing high-quality visitor services in numerous locations across the United States. We are one of the nation's leading managers of conference centers with a strong focus on customer experience. We are considered a premier provider of professional services by clients and competition alike, committed to providing high-quality recreation, hospitality and authentic experiences to clients and visitors from all over the world.
Description: Position Summary:
The Swamper for Wilderness River Adventures is a paid crew member that reports to the TL or Second Pilot on the river and to the River Operations Manager in the shop. The Swamper must have the necessary desire, safety practices, and potential river skills to receive the training to becoming a guide for WRA. The Swamper must be able to openly and willing work in a group and in a team-oriented atmosphere, knowing that they are able to rely upon all other crew members in the event of an emergency. All Swampers must full participate in all preparations necessary to conduct a safe and informative river trip. Essential Functions:
Status and Scope:
- Assist the TL and Second Pilot with all phases of the operation, both on and off the river
- At the launch site, assist in the unloading of rafts from trailers and assist guides as needed.
- Become familiar in all Interpretation programs relating to the natural and human history material of the Colorado River and Canyon Lands National Parks. Work in concert with the TL, Second Pilot and the interpretive programs manager and be able to discuss material with guests.
- At the launch point assist with loading procedures and demonstrate the correct and safe seating position and location of safety lines and individually check each PFD for fit and security. Assist with loading of passengers and explaining where personal gear should be placed.
- Maintain a positive attitude - always be willing to lend a helping hand wherever needed. Remain visible and available to other crew members and passengers throughout the trip.
- Must be able to work in highly stressful situations and be able to make the correct decisions when needed. Work closely with TL and Second Pilot in an emergency situation.
- Swampers must follow all safety and say in compliance with WRA's operations Manual and the NPS Commercial Operating Requirements (CORs).
- Swampers must assist TL and Second Pilot with on river repairs and ensure that equipment will make it safely back to the shop.
- Be aware of MSDS sheets and books and read and use this information when necessary
- Must be honest, dependable and forthright, with the ability to confidently work without direct supervision
- Go the extra mile and follow through to ensure guest satisfaction
- Diplomatically handle guest complaints - always be polite and maintain a professional manner
- Assist the TL and Second Pilot with the pre-trip loading of rafts. Ensure the following safety items are loaded: rescue kit, major and minor first aid (check for expiration dates and product integrity), repair kits, satellite phone, spare bow lines, spare motors (and/or oars), and air pump. Ensure boat registration is current and visible.
- The Swamper must assist the truck driver in the safe and proper loading of the rafts during the takeout.
- Must be able to work with diverse populations in a supportive and positive manner
- Must be flexible - willing to work a varied schedule
- Other duties as assigned
- Swampers need to be comfortable working outdoors as they may encounter desert animals, which includes but is not limited to: mice, jack rabbits, snakes, bats etc...
- Swampers must be comfortable working long days in extreme weather conditions.
- Swampers must be comfortable working with guests and crew in a wilderness setting.
- Swampers must be able to handle many different types of situations. Sometimes life threatening.
Equipment Used: Travel Requirements:
- Must be willing to study and learn history, geology, river flows and all issues that pertain to creating an informative and safe trip for guests.
- After reaching number of trips for guide status will acquire current Health and CPR cards plus a current food handler's card.
- Strong English communication skills are required
- Must be over 18 years of age
- Swampers must be willing to participate in the random drug/alcohol testing pool.
- Must have a valid US Driver's License and pass a Motor Vehicle Record history check (MVR)
- Pre-employment background and drug test are required for this position.
More than 30% Lifting Requirements:
VERY HEAVY - Lifting objects in excess of 100 pounds with frequent lifting and/or carrying objects weighing 50 pounds or more. Physical Requirements:
KEYING/FINGERING NOT REQUIRED
A little about us:
At Aramark, we believe that each of our employees can play an important role in creating the great experiences that become lasting memories.