At Exelon, we've got a place for you!
Join the nation's leading competitive energy provider, with one of the largest electricity generation portfolios and retail customer bases in the country. You will be part of a family of companies that strives for the highest standards of power generation, competitive energy sales, and energy delivery. Our team of outstanding professionals is focused on performance, thought leadership, innovation, and the power of ideas that come from a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Exelon will provide you the tools and resources you need to design, build and enhance a successful career. We are also dedicated to motivating the success of our employees through competitive base salary, incentives, and health and retirement benefits.
Join Exelon and share your passion at a forward-thinking Fortune 150 company. Establish yourself in a place where you can truly shine and create a brighter, more sustainable tomorrow. Energize your career at Exelon!
Business Unit Overview
Join Exelon Power, and you will be a part of the team responsible for managing, operating, and maintaining the company's fossil (natural gas, oil and coal), renewable (wind and solar), and hydroelectric fleet of power generating assets. With locations in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Texas, California, Iowa, and Massachusetts, our diverse generating portfolio enables the company to be competitive in the deregulated power market.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Wind & Solar Operations Support Specialist position provides an interface between external and internal customers of the wind and solar fleet. External customers include but are not limited to the Independent System Operators, Regional Transmission Organizations, Power Purchase Agreement offtakes, and wind turbine original equipment manufacturers. Internal customers include but are not limited to the Fleet Duty Officer, Portfolio operations Generation Dispatchers, generation sites, and wind & solar management. The specialist proactively monitors and addresses generating unit and system conditions resulting from equipment issues, ensures requests for energy and ancillaries are met, ensures compliance with all regulatory rules in the appropriate ISO/RTO markets, and ensures commitments within contract Agreements are met to achieve positive results for the Exelon wind and solar fleet.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
1. Monitors generation conditions (alarms, telemetry values, status, etc.) and takes actions to address and/or communicate issues to the appropriate internal and external customers
2. Responsible for timely communication to internal and external customers required by operating, power purchase and interconnect agreements
3. Responds to ISO and/or power purchase agreement representatives requests in accordance with operating agreements and procedures (examples include, but are not limited to, curtailment orders, reliability directives, and voltage schedules)
4. Troubleshoots generation problems (if unable to resolve issue, escalate to regional manager, original equipment manufacturer or support staff to assist with resolution)
5. Schedules generating unit availability and outages as requested by site maintenance personnel or service agreement providers. Dispatches renewable generation assets as required
6. Prepares operating reports and tracks performance indicators as required. Creates, maintains and complies with procedures associated with this function. Supports ISO driven system and or procedure changes
7. As required, provide input and testing support for necessary or proposed updates for man-machine interfaces which address system upgrades or changes
8. As requested, coordinate necessary parties and participate in analysis of system events that impact generation or execution of test plans
9. Provides data as necessary to all required parties (meter reads, wind/generation Forecasts, etc.)
• Undergraduate degree in Engineering OR
• Associate’s degree with 4+ years professional experience OR
• High school diploma with 8+ years professional experience in related industry
• Experience with SCADA control systems, PI and Smart Signal preferred
• Knowledge of PJM, MISO, ERCOT, SPP markets preferred
• Excellent verbal and written communication and problem solving skills
• Familiarity with NERC and FERC guidelines pertaining to power generation preferred, able to learn concepts such as Standards of Conduct and 3-part Communications
• Willingness to initially travel for a period of up to 9 months to receive training (control systems, PI and original equipment manufacturer familiarization, hands on SCADA and control system familiarization, and familiarization with Exelon wind turbine and solar facilities)
• Position requires rotating shift work as part of a team of individuals filling a 24x7 shift schedule including Holidays
• Ability to multi-task
• Commercial power generation experience preferred, particularly with renewables
· Position reports to Manager, Operations and Maintenance
The preceding position description is intended to provide the general nature and level of work to be performed by employees within this classification. It is not intended to be a detailed description of the position or a comprehensive listing of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position, nor is it intended to indicate the exact amounts of time an individual will perform various position duties.
Exelon believes in hiring men and women who've served in the military: they exemplify the leadership, teamwork, integrity, and commitment to excellence we need. Exelon attends military recruiting fairs with members of E-MAC (Exelon - Militaries Actively Connected), our employee resource group that supports veteran employees. We advertise in military publications, and partner with Transition Assistance Program (TAP) offices.
To learn more about where your skills in the military can be applied at Exelon, visit our military careers site.
Not ready to apply? Follow Exelon on LinkedIn to stay informed on our jobs and company news.