WWM&O - Worldwide Incentive Compensation
Worldwide Marketing & Operations (WW M&O) is made up of Marketing Planning & Operations, GSMO Strategy (including Complete), World Wide Incentive Compensation and M&O Sales Excellence. The WW M&O mission is "We drive cross-company insight and execution excellence, bringing strategy and priorities to life – to accelerate our pace of transformation and enable GSMO to deliver business impact at scale”.
The Worldwide Incentive Compensation (WWIC) team mission is to Enable Strategy, Motivate Sellers, Reward Results. In pursuit of this mission the team designs and implements variable incentive-based compensation plans for more than 25,000 sellers, sales leaders and consultants across Microsoft. We are experts in Incentive Compensation at Microsoft responsible for aligning incentive plans and targets (quotas) to motivate seller behavior and drive the company's strategies. We are also end to end owners of incentive compensation processes and data which includes quota setting management, delivering timely and accurate payouts, providing business insights based upon performance of sellers to field/segment leaders and executives, business partnering with the field/segments on Incentive Compensation topics, driving continuous process improvement through review and analysis of incentive compensation performance.
The Director of Quota is a manager on the Quota & Analytics team. The role’s primarily responsibilities is to manage and own the quota end to end process, manage the broader field quota stakeholder community, land Machine Learning quota models and be primary point of contact to explain quota methodology as it aligns to company strategy. The role will also be responsible to deliver quota tools that support and align to business priorities & goals working closely with Microsoft IT. This is a critical role, and the individual is also expected to play an important role in influencing broader WWIC strategy & direction across business, data architecture, platform strategy that the team pursues on its journey of WW Incentive Compensation team’s digital transformation journey.
Below are some of the key responsibilities of the role (not exhaustive)
• Managing a high performing team of 3 FTEs
• Delivering comprehensive Quota platform strategy & data architecture inputs that enable quota setting and roadmap to deliver features, reports, insights & information to stakeholders.
• Leveraging deep subject matter expertise in Incentive Compensation to maximize Plan Understanding, plan impact (performance analytics), quota setting, and participant performance.
• Building strong Trusted Advisor Partnerships with Sales Leaders and Managers and representing voice of WWIC to field and segment leadership.
• Engaging with senior leadership and executives to understand the evolution of sales strategies to ensure that quota methodologies, models and motivational levers of our sales incentive plans are aligned.
• Leading continuous improvement and innovation in quota tools, quota forecasting, standardized reporting, ensuring agility in delivering results while consistently maintaining and improving quality.
• Increasing internal WWIC understanding of quota implications on plan performance by ensuring that all teams can communicate and explain quotas at start of each measurement period.
• Engaging with Plan Design, senior Leadership, and executives to understand the evolution of sales strategies to ensure that quota setting methodologies support all plan design components.
• Driving continuous improvement and innovation in Quota setting quality, processes and tools (including quota forecasting, standardized work flows, tool mechanics and functionality), ensuring agility in delivering results while consistently maintaining and improving quality.
Core Competencies Required:
• Leadership & People Management – effectively leverages strengths of the team to deliver results, focused on career growth for team members, creating an environment that to enables team members to bring their best
• Analytical Problem Solving - Systematically considers the implications of problems and solutions in more than one domain at a time and does not solve a problem in one domain in a way that causes a problem in another
• Business knowledge and understanding – has pulse on business models, changes in business, connecting the dots across various channels, products, geographies etc.
• Strong communication skills – Effective communications within team and across functions, stakeholders and business partners
• Confidence - Acts confidently in uncertain circumstances; works effectively in ambiguous situations
• Creative and innovative solutions to reduce cycle times and drive efficiency and improved outcomes
• Cross-Boundary Collaboration - Seeks support for collaborative activities from peers, upper management; informs workgroups, peers, upper management about how they can be more successful with a collaborative approach in certain areas
• Impact and Influence - Consciously develops influence strategies; anticipates others' reactions
• Interpersonal Awareness - Understands less-obvious reasons for others' concerns, behavior, and perspectives
• Trusted Advisor - Probes the expressed and unexpressed needs of clients and peers to understand underlying issues.
• Strategic Insight - Probes for additional information when necessary but does not get sidetracked by extraneous details
Values expected to be demonstrated:
Integrity and Honesty, Big Challenges, Passion, Open and Respectful, Accountable, Pursuit of Excellence
Basic qualifications include (specific to each area)
• Degree, MBA in Business, Engineering, Finance or related field preferred
• Minimum 10 yrs experience in a compensation, finance, sales strategy or sales management role
• Highly effective people management and development skills and experience
• Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of business including Senior leadership
• Excellent customer service and cross group collaboration skills to build strong business partnerships
• Strong analytical, problem solving, decision making and emotional intelligence skills
• Ability to develop and implement creative solutions and influence others in their adoption.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, including presentation experience and interpersonal skills.
• Deep awareness of process design and optimization and skills to drive transformational change
Preferred experiences include:
• Strong business acumen, familiarity with a sales culture, and ability to serve as an evangelist for Microsoft
• Detailed oriented with “big picture” thinking to understand the key trends and levers that drive the business
• Excellent planning & time management skills, ability to succeed in direct accountability and influence structures
• Capable of defining & implementing business strategies in a fast, ambiguous & results-oriented environment
• Excellent problem solving skills and the ability to resolve conflict and exercise sound business judgment
• Ambitious, self-starter with the ability to multi-task, manage priorities and reprioritize as necessary
• Project Management skills and ability to drive complex projects WW
• Ability to use industry benchmarking data to build recommendations for critical business decisions
Marketing Pitch: Top reasons why this is a great position for the right person.
• Deep understanding of how corporate strategy translates into field execution through sales incentives
• Understand the role compensation plays in motivating a large sales organization
• Highly complex space with many variables and need to deliver outcomes in an ambiguous environment
• Difficult challenges that require creativity and an open/growth mindset to solve
• Develop long term understanding of business implications associated with decisions
This description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this position. The actual duties, responsibilities, and qualifications may vary based on assignment or group. Microsoft is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE), strongly supports diversity in the workplace and does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, gender, age, national origin, religion, marital status, veteran status, or sexual orientation. At Microsoft, we believe that diversity enriches our performance and products, the communities where we live and work, and the lives of our employees. As our workforce evolves to reflect the growing diversity of our communities and the global marketplace, we continue to expand our efforts to understand, value, and incorporate differences as we help others realize their potential.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A little about us:
Microsoft offers training and employment opportunities to help you turn your military experience and skills into a civilian technology career.